Hallson Gardens is for sale - it is time to retire

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Hallson Gardens is for sale - it is time to retire

Post by Chris_W »

As most of you probably know by now, Brian and I have decided to put our home and nursery up for sale this year. We have been at this for 25 years now, 23 professionally, and have loved every minute of it. We will continue to run the nursery business as usual while looking for a buyer and assure you that we will process all orders for the fall and the spring. The plant selection for 2019 is all lined up, and even a lot of things for 2020 have already been started here, so we will be getting the 2019 catalog online this winter and start taking orders in January as usual. It might take quite some time to find the right buyer but even after we sell we hope to stay on for some months to show them how we operate.

If you are on facebook you can see our post here: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 0952482025

The real estate listing can be seen here: http://www.russgaston.com/featured-list ... -meridian/

Thank you all for your support over the years and in the future too. I will still be around to help with questions online and with plants next year and of course will keep everyone posted as to how the search progresses. We want this to be a success!

Take care,

Chris
Diana

Re: Hallson Gardens is for sale - it is time to retire

Post by Diana »

So are you going to retire in Maui and raise pineapples? Papayas?
I know all good things must come to any end, but you two have made a lot of good things happen for a lot of people. Chris, you are an expert on HVX, and can spot it better than anyone. Will you still make your eyes (expertise) available for people who have those problems as a consultant, or are you both deciding to take a different road in life and do something new? Whatever is happening, I wish you both every happiness and success in your endeavors.
-Love and hugs to you both, and thanks for everything.
-Diana
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

We will still be gardening and I want to take some hostas with me. Just depends on how it all goes. But of course I will still be around to help with plant questions - heck, I'm hoping to have more time for that. Might even have time to do a hosta convention and I'm even thinking I might work for a nursery or grower. Lots of things to work out considering this is the sale of our lifelong dream along with our home but we are excited for the future.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Brian and Chris;
Thank you for the many years of helping the hosta community! Glad to hear you will still be around and helping out.
Best wishes for the next path in life. Will the forum still be here or will also go with the Sale?
Retirement isn't what some think, if you don't keep busy it's not retirement!!
Best wishes to you both! :beer:
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

The forum will still be here and I will still be running it. It isn't part of the sale which is why I moved it to this domain. I'm going to keep perennialreference.com but will be selling perennialnursery.com with the business. That way I will still be a part of things here with the forum. :)

We have big plans for the future which will include moving and getting new jobs - we won't make enough from the sale to stop working completely - and I'll share a lot more as things progress on the sale. Lots of things have been in the works for about a year now.

Keep wishing us luck :D
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Thanks, Chris for answering my questions!! Hoping the next path is full of enjoyment!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
ademink

Post by ademink »

I just saw this! NOOOOoooooo! You are such a beloved part of my hosta history. Thank you for all of the wonderful plants and for sharing your gift of knowledge with us all.

I will look forward to following your journey. You are loved and appreciated!
Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Yes, sorry for the sad news. We will still be around here in 2019 as we don't have a buyer yet. We've had several inquiries and one offer came in but was way too low, in fact so low that I don't even think there is room to work with them at all. But we will see what happens - they are a really nice couple that we thought would be a perfect fit but then their crazy low offer (barely above what the property alone is worth) was just a head shaker.

I'm sure there will be more chances, though, and we really want to work with any new owner to make as smooth of a transition as possible :)
ademink

Post by ademink »

You've worked far too hard to build a profitable business to just give it away or take a loss. Take your time. The right offer will come in!

I'm happy you'll be around next year. I'm not that far away all of these years and have only ordered via mail. This year: road trip!
Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Thank you :) Yes, we don't want to give it away, but don't want to wait forever either. I think we have it priced about right with room to negotiate. Business pricing is more of a guide and not quite as fixed as a home price might be. When the right person comes along we will both know it. Problem is that once we made up our minds it is harder to sit and wait ;)
New Topic Post Reply