Can't quite figure this out..

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Pieter

Can't quite figure this out..

Post by Pieter »

..and what I mean by that is that I can't figure out what the underlying cause is that had me concerned about the health of the plants in question. Let me illustrate with a few pictures.
Resize of P1180375_twistingthenightaway_hvx.JPG
When I saw this I honestly thought I might very well be dealing with an HVX issue but something made me hesitate and rather than toss them I decided I'd better keep things under observation, you can always toss them when you ARE sure. And I'm glad I did. The above shot was taken April 23rd. Compare that with the picture below I took about a month later, May 28th. You can see the damage on the older leaves but none of the newer ones show anything untoward, thank goodness!
Resize of P1180746_twistinginthewind.JPG
This may well be an example of edema (oedema), we certainly had a rather cool spring. In case you're curious, this streaking sport is named 'Twisting in the Wind' and the stable medio-variegated form is called 'Twisting the Night Away'. What the garden trade needs is yet another variegated Hyacinthina sport so I don't think it'll ever end up in the trade but I am sharing it locally....
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Re: Can't quite figure this out..

Post by Tigger »

Any chance you sprayed DEET (mosquito repellent) nearby?
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

Don't use any sprays to speak of, David, never mind DEET. It was something 'environmental' but what the exact cause might have been is just a guessing game at this juncture. I actually also had some strange 'blotches' appear on both of my 'June' plants that had me really concerned but like these the new growth looks all healthy so chalk it up to yet another unexplained phenom....
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

I have a similar looking really ugly plant. Thought HVX and checked it. No HVX. I moved it into more sun. I'll get a photo.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

Here is my plant.
0708190701d~2.jpg
0708190701e~2.jpg
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
New Topic Post Reply