Two More IDs please!

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
AmyInOhio
USDA Zone: 5b

Two More IDs please!

Post by AmyInOhio »

Greetings from NW Ohio! I'm once again asking for help IDing some Hostas. I got these two long before I understood how important journaling details such as name and location are. I'm much better now, I promise! :blush:

These two are most likely very common varieties and I have a guess on the large blue one. I'm thinking it might be 'Krossa Regal' due to the long petioles and overall vase shape, but it's just my guess. I have no clue what the smaller, greener variety is. It is VERY floriferous and is blooming with gusto right now. I really love this one and have taken several cuttings for other areas of the yard. The hummingbirds love to feed on those flowers! Without further ado, here are the plants in question:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S7dUCx ... sp=sharing
Plant height is 16" and it is in bloom now (July 11). I have had this one for years; this clump is probably going on 11 years in this location. It's GORGEOUS!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QBspix ... sp=sharing
Detail of the leaves and unscented flowers. Leaves are medium in thickness, not really soft but not overly stiff either. Grows densely ('Orange Marmalade' behind).

Now for the large blue one that I think might be 'Krossa Regal':
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TAhfkx ... sp=sharing
The shape, size and color are saying "Krossa Regal" to me. It stands 25" high and flowers in late summer. The scapes are tall enough to look me in the eye and carry white unscented flowers. The leaves are a beautiful blue in spring and have just recently greened up due to the sun it receives until mid-day. It's a big mature clump the same age as the smaller one. Leaves are stiff and what I like to call "bullet proof". :D

Here are the two unknowns side by side in the garden. You can really see the size difference. 'Gold Standard' is in front:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12PLfut ... sp=sharing

Thanks so much for taking a look and helping me solve my mystery! Happy gardening,
Amy
Pieter

Re: Two More IDs please!

Post by Pieter »

Picture #1 surely looks like 'Fortunei Hyacinthina', the 2nd one puzzles me in as much as my KR is in full bloom and there's not a scape to be seen on yours.
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

My KR is not in flower yet either. Mine is more green than blue.

The smaller could be FH. Hard to tell. It would help to see close-up of front and back of the leaf. And petioles. And clear close-up of flowers straight on and profile with anthers. Any other details can help.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
AmyInOhio
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by AmyInOhio »

Thanks for the answers! I dug bag into the older posts here and found a link to the Delaware Valley Hosta Society's page called "What hosta do I have?" and found good information there about Fortunei Hyacintha and am convinced that's what the smaller one is. I'm still certain that I have Krossa Regal too. Thanks for the help!
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Yes, I think that is Krossa Regal. The other reminds me of Pearl Lake - definitely isn't Hyacinthina.
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

My KR is just putting up a scape.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
Helena4110
USDA Zone: Greece

Post by Helena4110 »

Thanks for the in-depth explanations; by reading this forum, I understand that I didn't know nearly as much as I thought about hostas... I'm glad I ran into this site though, because this way, I'll finally be able some day to be as knowledgeable as I thought I was :lol:
New Topic Post Reply