Welcome to the forums!

This is the welcome area. Post here to introduce yourself to the forum and to welcome new members.

Moderator: Chris_W

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Welcome to the forums!

Post by Chris_W »

Welcome to the Hallson Gardens forums. We hope that you will settle down here and enjoy yourself at your garden away from home. Although we are like a big family here, we are always happy to see new faces and welcome new members to the group :D

While getting aquainted with the forums you might find some helpful information in a couple places. First, there is the forum FAQ link at the top of the page next to the Search and Memberslist links:

faq.php

The forum guidelines are pretty simple, really. I just ask that we respect each other and try to keep the discussions upbeat.

The other spot where you might find some help is in the Forum 101 question and comment area, the forum at the bottom of the index page. If you are having problems or have a question you might find the answer there already. If not, please feel free to ask your question as others may be wondering the same thing but were afraid to ask themselves. You will also find the test forum in that same area.

Finally, if you are looking for a specific topic, don't forget about the Search function, also found at the top of the forum next to the FAQ.

Thanks a lot for signing up! We'll see you around the forums :)

Sincerely yours,

Chris Wilson and Brian Hall
Hallson Gardens
Last edited by Chris_W on Mar 24, 2004 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deb118

Post by Deb118 »

Welcome...
Sandra

Post by Sandra »

hello from New Zealand!! I found this site while bumbling round the www and now I guess for the moment I am the new kid on the block. We have 1/2 an acre of 18 month old garden which we have been busy getting established. So far there are about 4000 trees and shrubs planted and now the fun bit is happening, ie all the pretty bits like annuals and perrenials are filling in the gaps to choke any weeds. This week we have had some torrid winds gusting up to 125-130 kph, add that to invasions of rabbits, hares and possums it's a wonder anything survives!! Your northen hemisphere seasons are opposite to ours so while you batten down for winter we watch summer roll in. I look forward to making new friends and exchanging views/news--sandra
leafmould

Post by leafmould »

We are so glad you found us :P
Mr. Leafmould
jmboyer

Post by jmboyer »

Hello, Sandra, and welcome. It's a pleasure to have you with us. Your place sounds wonderful. I am looking forward to hearing you describe more about your gardening efforts. Maybe you can post some photos. If you have any animal companions, please share with us critter maniacs on the Pet Forum as well. This is a warm and friendly place. I know you will like it here. I'm looking forward to chatting with you on the boards.

Mr. LM: Stunning photo!
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

WOW, New Zealand!!

Nice to meet you!!! Jump right in...Great people here!

Leafmould, that is a stunning picture, that's for sure!
Sandra

Post by Sandra »

Hello from NZ!! Thanks for the warm welcome I'll have to make stronger noises about digital cameras
to family before I can share photos--in the meantime word pictures will be my challenge.Today I spent some time with secatuers and loppers, closely supervised by our 2 dogs!--some of the trees had the nerve to be swamping the camellias. So what else can one do but hook into them and shove the resultant chaos thru the mulcher, is that a case of what goes around comes around?? It is with great delight that I can announce the first flowers opening on the hostas, they are thriving on a clay bank in developing shade under roses, lacebarks and ribbonwoods. There are are also pinks, violas,aquilegias,thalictrums and choysia ternata in that same part of the garden--this area was planted only last summer and has developed better than I anticipated!!
hostaanita
USDA Zone: 6

Post by hostaanita »

Welcome Sandra !!! This is a fun place to visit and for us frozen Northern Gardeners ...a place to get our fingers dirty . Sounds so lovely to have Hosta Flowers this time of year :D
leafmould

Post by leafmould »

Sandra...blooming hostas :o :o :P :hmm:
please tell us about your hostas in the hosta forum :P
any Kiwis ?
Mr. Leafmould
Becky in PA

Post by Becky in PA »

Hi, Sandra--welcome! Can't wait till you get that digital camera! (my husband and I decide to buy one for each other for Christmas this year, so maybe by spring I'll know how to use it!)
Becky
Richiegirl

Hello from Madison, WI

Post by Richiegirl »

I am a hosta lover, and browsed into this site the other day. I'm enjoying reading the posts and learning some new things, too!
Leslie WA

New to the group

Post by Leslie WA »

This looks like a great place to increase my knowledge of gardening. I love native plants, nursery plants trees, shrubs ...However I am new at caring for the plants in my yard. We have rich clay like soil and mixed sun. I learned that is not good for Dahlias :D . They all rotted. I am trying to increase the bird habitat of my yard. So I will be asking lots of questions. One of the members of another group birdsngardens@yahoo.com, directed me to this site. I will have to thank him the next time I post. :P
A day without sunshine is like a day ... in Washington the evergreen (and gray) state
Leslie
Zone 8
Sandra

Post by Sandra »

Hi Leslie--tragic about the dahlias vs clay, but all is not lost as roses adore the stuff :lol: Give me roses any day over dahlias!! I have also found that magnolia "Little Gem" thrives in clay here in NZ so it should do very well for you in your garden--assuming you have a reasonable sized garden. Good gardening and have fun whatever you do :D
Leslie WA

Post by Leslie WA »

I have a magnolia but it isn't little, I am assuming there are many different kinds. The people who owned our house many years ago owned a nursery and in the 30 years we have lived there there are still many of the plants I have not seen elsewhere so have no idea what they are. I know the fruit trees also love the clay, I suppose because it holds the water. There are 13 fruit trees in my back yard. I know the names of 3 of them :roll: , Italian prune, green guage, and transparent apple. There is a pear tree, which I have heard is called a sugar pear, its meat is similar to the Bosc. Its skin is a little scabby or rough. One of the other fruit trees is a fig. There were 2 of them but 1 died some years back. The meat inside the surviving one is red, and the one that died was white. There is a prune which is delicious but I have no idea what it is called. It is almond shaped and the coloring of the fruit is almost like that of a peace rose. One of the others looks like and taste like a plum shaped nectarine. but the texture is definitly plum (very big). The last is a smaller round plum the color of a rosey peach. It is very good also. I have never seen any of these in the store and noe of the produce people recognize them. I would love to get some ideas on what they are. Thank you for your warm welcome. As I learn hopefully I won't be so long winded. :oops:
A day without sunshine is like a day ... in Washington the evergreen (and gray) state
Leslie
Zone 8
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

:D Hello everyone! My name is Joanna and I am new here, although I have already posted on the Iris forum (having some serious iris troubles). I don't have a digital camera (yet) and don't have any pics to share (yet). I love perennials because you don't have to plant new every year. I am learning as much as I can and I am greatful to have found a site with so many different gardeners, experienced and not. I admit that I do tend to get more energetic in my gardening in spring and much lazier in summer and fall. :oops: My yard is really quite small, and I am finding that one of my biggest problems is I want to buy far more than I have room to plant. Hmmm, maybe I have the same trouble with stray cats: I have five of them. So, I welcome any feline questions and information too. However, I cannot take care of any more, so don't offer me any more kitties! Anyway, I am very glad to meet you all and have found this wonderful website!
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Welcome Joanna!

Post by wishiwere »

Welcome Joanna! Nice to see another Michigander on the list! And a cat lover too! I just joined a few days back. Must be the cold weather brought you to the computer too? Enjoy the many forums, I certainly have!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
PEIslander

Post by PEIslander »

Welcome everyone. :)
This has got to be THE most caring fourm on earth.They are very knowledgable about all plants and no question is considered trivial.
When you are having personal problems they are all here to support you.I have , unfortunately experienced this aspect this Oct-Nov when my mom was really ill.
So please stick around and enjoy our "little family" I'm sure like me you will not be dissapointed.
Maureen
NaKeDgArDeNeR

Hello!

Post by NaKeDgArDeNeR »

:eek: I'm new here and I'm impressed with the bb so far. Looks like we have some friendly folks here :P

I have lots of questions, so I better get posting :wink:
Kristi
Kathy_Il

Introducing myself- Hello

Post by Kathy_Il »

Hi All, I,m Kathy live in Illinois zone 5 am haooily married. Been gardening for awhile now enjoy as a hobby. Always trying new things this year starting seeds from grow light. Also want to plant hostas along front driveway and add more daylilies and autumn joy sedums. Look forward to hearing from all of you! Take care,Kathy P. S. Is now ok to plant bareroot daylilies,hostas,and autumn joy sedum. Thanks in advance!
randiliana

Hello

Post by randiliana »

Hello, I am Randi, I live in Saskatchewan, Canada and among other things my hobbies include, cross stitch, horseback riding and reading as well as gardening. I really love perennials, although I have my favorite annuals. I am willing to try anything especially if it is different, such as purple beans and purple (on the inside too!) potatoes. :P
The nice thing about living in a small town:
When you don't know what you are doing, someone else always does!
New Topic Post Reply