Welcome to the forums!

This is the welcome area. Post here to introduce yourself to the forum and to welcome new members.

Moderator: Chris_W

LoriKay

HELLO EVERYONE!!

Post by LoriKay »

My name is Lori Switalski and I live in North Branch, Michigan.
I love to garden, with all kinds of perennials, annuals, but my passion is daylilies. I currently have acquired about 1000 cultivars, and growing. My husband and I live out in the sticks on 10 acres. We have three sons.
This looks like a wonderful place to make friends! I noticed alot of topics I would love to check out! I heard about this place through The Amateurdaylilyhybridizers Forum.
So nice to be here!!
:D

Lori
PRAY FOR PEACE!!

LORIKAY
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Welcome to you both, Susan and LoriKay! We're always happy to have new members. It is a fun group here and there is lots of forums to tempt you. We all enjoy hearing about other people's gardens and if you can post pics, that is always welcome also. I'll look forward to seeing your posts in the upcoming months. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
morgansrgr8
USDA Zone: 5

I'm BACK

Post by morgansrgr8 »

Been a rough couple years. Went through a divorce and lost all but a few of my hosta. Have a place to get started all over again. :wink: Glad to be back and see all the familiar friends here. HI ALL
Linda
I know I am past the point of no return but what a way to go.

My Hosta List
newtohosta-no more

I should have read this post before I read the birthday post. Then I wouldn't have had to ask how things were going. :roll:
I'm sorry to hear about the tough spots in your life, but I hope things will turn around now and be better than before. It's good to see you back here at Hallson's.
(((Linda)))
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

dusky

Re: Welcome to the forums!

Post by dusky »

This is a great site with all of the advise and pictures. I will spend some time here!
plantlover
USDA Zone: 6

Post by plantlover »

Hi!
I am new to this . I love plants and have a few perennials. Currently I am looking for the seeds of hardy perennial Plum Crazy. I live in New Jersey. I would love to get some seeds if anyone has them. I have some seeds that I can trade as well.
newtohosta-no more

Hi Plantlover! There is an exchange forum at this site, so you might want to try and post something there. Someone might have what you're looking for. :wink: And, btw, Welcome to Hallsons! :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

plantaholic

Post by plantaholic »

Hello! My name is Plantaholic, and I'm...

...well, a plantaholic; my subdivision backyard is, to put it mildly, overplanted in a border arranged around a diminishing panel of ,ahem,grass. I'm looking forward to swapping garden talk/experiences while pursuing my mini Alhambra..
paula_zone5

Post by paula_zone5 »

Hi,

My name is Paula and I live in Uxbridge, ON Canada. I became seriously interested in hostas only last year when I planted 3 (in pots) in my garden, by the end of the season it had grown to 35 hostas because I couldn't stop reading about all of the different, wonderful plants! The pots were used due to competition from cedar trees and I was really glad I did it because in November - we moved! It was easy to pull all of the pots and bring them along; I only lost 2. My trouble now is finding room for my growing hosta collection, so I have begun to focus on smaller hostas. I found this site by finding a thread elsewhere that recommended Hallson as the best mail order business for hostas.

Cheers,
Paula
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Welcome Paula. Hope you enjoy chatting here :)

Wish I could help you with mail order, but unfortunately we don't ship to Canada. Sorry!

Chris
paula_zone5

Post by paula_zone5 »

That is what I was afraid of. Are there any hosta suppliers that you would recommend in Canada?

Thanks,
Paula
greenpassion
USDA Zone: zone 5

Post by greenpassion »

Brand new to this site, and am a little overwhelmed. I am an extreme gardner, both on my property and on my deck. Many of my plants on the deck are over 15ft tall. Yeah-lots of soil and big big pots! I am into Mandevilla, Bower vines, bannanas, thunbergia, elephant ears and more.
newtohosta-no more

Welcome to Hallson's ,greenpassion! Extreme gardening, huh? You could do a tv show with that theme! :lol: We would love to see some pics of your garden. Hope you enjoy this site. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

greenthumb33

Post by greenthumb33 »

Hello everyone! I'm so excited that I discovered this site. I love gardening and discussing gardening with fellow garden-lovers! Can't wait to talk to all of you!
Angel3K

Post by Angel3K »

My name is Angelina, Angel or Angie is my nickname, 3Ks for my 3 kids: Kenneth, Karlina & Kieren. I live in Ottawa City, ON, Canada, and you know how small the modern townhome nowadays, but I love gardening no matter how small the space. Its probably 15 ft long and 12 feet wide, back onto the lustrous NCC Greenbelt ( a plus). My backyard has natural shade from trees from NCC greenbelt, and the inhabitants are: Jack n the Pulpits, ferns, trout lilies, red trilium & white trilium. I added few Hostas, peonies, solanum. I am a proud owner of H. Lancifolia (1888 arrival to Americas), oldie but goodie. Some say it can grow in a weed like manner, but as I compared it to "H. Red October", it looks the same in leaf structure and even the red petioles. However, the size of Red October is maybe twice the size of H. Lancitifolia (base on my own plant size). Maybe, the variance in size will change as both plant matures.
Reading on HVX, I have not seen any H. Lanctifolia infected, I maybe corrected later if someone has known any case of HVX on H. Lanctifolia.

I enjoy gardening, and I guess, this is the site for like minded gardeners.

Cheers!:) Angelina
Last edited by Angel3K on Jun 25, 2011 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
ogrefcf
USDA Zone: 5-6

Post by ogrefcf »

Welcome Angel3k!
Owen
hostales
USDA Zone: 5A

Post by hostales »

Hi - My name is Les and I live in Wilmington Illinois. I am a retired chemical engineer who concentrated on manufacturing facilities management and manufacturing systems, and plant management. I started growing my own hosta in 1993 when I was given a H. lancifolia (of course) because it reminded me of the hostas my grandmother had in the shade between our two-flat on the north side of Chicago when I was a tot. I used to pop the emerging blooms and play with the shell-less snails I had discovered amonth them. I have come a long way since then in my knowledge of the shell-less snails and now ugh-a-slugh like everyone else.

I lived in Mountain Home Arkansas when I began growing them (Z5B at that elevation). When I returned to north central Illinois iin 2004 I had to leave behing most of my hosta. I did manage to relocate single plants of maybe 14 adult plants the 550 miles. In Arkansas the soil, if you can call it that, was heavy clay with much sand or cracked limestone often thin over a shelf of rock or to describe it best, hard-pan. Some of the clay was a greenish powder that looked like raw Portland Cement. The only successful hosta I grew were in raised soil. If I cut into the ground the hole, which often took an hour or more to dig with a pick and rock-bar, acted like a bowl with no drainage and the roots and crowns rotted.

I have wonderful soil here, not heavy with clay and with coal dust instead of sand the predominant fines. I have expanded my collection to 50 and it is growing. At age 73 I am a bit slow in breaking new beds and not a dillegant in weeding as I need to be. So my gardens lack the beauty of many well cared for gardens, but my plants are quite nice looking and the key is I love doing it. It helps keep me young.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Welcome Les! Sorry it took me so long to approve your first posting (I have to do that to prevent spam :( ) but it is great to have you here. Feel free to post away now, we look forward to hearing more about your new gardens :)

Chris
Angel3K

Post by Angel3K »

welcome les,

i am new to hosta too, or just newly expanded my collected. i am a mom of 3 young children, so the weeds are just there, and got no time for them.

yes, gardening is keeping me young too, despite daily stress. :)))

hosta fragrant queen just added to my collection, and well..i said, just this one...:)
newtohosta-no more

I'll send out my welcome to you, also, Les! I just hope that I'll still be able to garden when I am 73, so good for you! :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

New Topic Post Reply