Suggestions for a shade vine

Use this area to discuss climbing plants such as trumpet vines, clematis, and others.

Moderator: Chris_W

mimicook

Suggestions for a shade vine

Post by mimicook »

I need some suggestions for a shade vine that isnt too heavy would really like a good one that comes back every year but it doesnt matter if it grows fast. I have a long arbor (sort of like a tunnel) that i made out of cedar post and grape vines into my shade garden and i want it covered with vines . Jan
If God brings you to it ,God can bring you thu it.
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Sweet Atumn Clematis, many different clematis, Silver Lace vine, Woodbine, trumper creeper. A couple of the climbing Hydrangea are suppose to be beauties.
mimicook

shade vines

Post by mimicook »

OED. thanks for all the suggestions. All of these will be ok in the shade. I had thought of a lot of these but most all of them say sun. Jan
John

Post by John »

What about Akebia? I think that is for sun or shade, and grows fast. Pretty foliage, mine has not bloomed yet, chocolate-scented purple flowers.
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Another good one John. I think there is a white flowering variety also.
mimicook

shade vines

Post by mimicook »

I have never heard of that one. I will look it up. Thanks for all the suggestions. Do you know where I could find an AkeBia?Jan
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Not off hand! That's one of those "just read about it". No expierience.
John may have info.
John

Post by John »

Just sent you a PM Jan, and since then did some research: Akebia comes in only two species, 5-leaf and 3-leaf, and a naturally occurring hybrid of the two.

It seems that Akebia is suppposed to be easily propagated by layering a stem, so I'll go out there are pin some to the ground.

Flowering would have been in April, and seeds must be freshly sown, or special treatment is required.

So, wish me luck with layering!

John

OED: interesting, about the white-flowered form, will look for more on that also.
mimicook

Post by mimicook »

Good luck on layering the limb John. I hope it works. From what I have read it sounds like a beutiful plant. Jan
New Topic Post Reply