HELP

Use this area to discuss climbing plants such as trumpet vines, clematis, and others.

Moderator: Chris_W

SMORVANT
USDA Zone: 8b

HELP

Post by SMORVANT »

I have a beautiful mandevilla that I planted in my rose garden. With the winter approaching I would like to know if there is a way to winterize it without digging it up? I live in Louisiana in zone 8b.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: HELP

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

I think the only way to guarantee success would be to dig and pot it up and bring it indoors. If it is really big you would likely have to trim it back quite a bit, and then I would recommend spraying it with an insecticide while it is still outdoors so you don't bring anything into the house. Although your zone is practically tropical compared to me here in Michigan I think this is only hardy outdoors in zone 10, so it is unlikely that you could leave it outside at all, but maybe one of our members in the Pacific Northwest might have some advice as their zone is similar in the winter.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Smorvant, I totally agree with Chris on this, one should dig it up to save it due to the zone requirements.
I have read that some folks down there have them up against their homes and they have done well with mulch
protection. I just wouldn't chance it. We have stripped our of the leaves and will spray them before moving them
inside as the leaves will grow back and the inside leaves are different from the outside leaves. We will again strip
them before they go outside.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

:hmm:

It is a zone 10 plant, but it is free growing in southern Spain zone 9.. for a zone 8b.. it is up to you :-)

You can test it in the garden with a lot of compost or other stuff to protect it.. or dig it up to be sure
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply