Sweet Autumn Clematis growth rate

Use this area to discuss climbing plants such as trumpet vines, clematis, and others.

Moderator: Chris_W

ogrefcf
USDA Zone: 5-6

Sweet Autumn Clematis growth rate

Post by ogrefcf »

New to Clematis and SAC is my only one. I got it to cover up my pergolas and a wire bridge I have between them. Planted them in July I believe as tiny 6" little things in 4" pots. Well now they are both well over 6' tal and still going. I thought the first year was sleep or is it just that good of a grower? I'm happy with em and might be lucky enough to have them cover my bridge next year.

Also do I bother pruning them and if I do how do I go about it. I know it's a hard prune, but don't quite know when to. Thanks for any help.

Owen
Owen
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Re: Sweet Autumn Clematis growth rate

Post by kHT »

You are doing just great with this one. We have one that was in the ground and it over took the Camperdom Elm so it was dug up and put in a pot. You will love this one once it takes off and in the fall it's will be loaded with many white blooms. Due to ours is in a pot now we cut all ours back when the temps drop to the mid 30s and we bring the potted ones inside. Those in the ground if they are hard pruned get cut back to the 8" mark above the soil. When we had new younger plants we would take the 8" and tie a shoestring around them and put a pot turned upside down over them and tie the strings around the pot so it wouldn't blow off to protect them during the winter months. One doesn't need to do so but we were new to them and were afraid of loosing them due to they were planted late in the season.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
ogrefcf

Post by ogrefcf »

Update for 2012. The SAC has been covering the wire trellis and my pergolas nicely. I haven't had to put up and shade cloth this year.

And how thick it is up top. As fast as it's been growing, I might run out of trellis room!
Owen
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Looks great!! Congrats on a good job of growing your first. Now what is the next one?? GN has posted her great looking Multi Blue, which is a favorite of ours.
I would recommend that one next.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

I am not sure if your Sweet SÀutum clematis is exactly the same as clematis vitalba... if it is.. it may very well be too big for the area
Then the flowers are not that interesting, seed pods are sort of cute

Now you have given some shade foer your hostas, thats great, then you can play... if the clem is rather uninteresting/ vway to big.. dig up one of them and plant the perfet one... then in 2 or 3 years... dig up the one at the other side

Warneing.. do this clem set seeds ?????????????????
Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

SAC will seed all over the place!
ogrefcf

Post by ogrefcf »

If they seed bad I'll just pull em like all the others. I just cleaned out a bunch of Virginia Creeper seedlings today. They also have to make it through the Creeping Jenny. I have a Huldine and A Mayleen on another trellis. The Mayleen is a Montana, the green house said it was good in Z5, but after some research I don't think it is. It might grow, but wont flower.
Owen
New Topic Post Reply