Gunnera for a wet ditch?

Use this area to discuss pond gardening, bog gardening, and related topics.

Moderator: Chris_W

WindDancer

Gunnera for a wet ditch?

Post by WindDancer »

I haven't posted here in quite a while, so I apologize if this question has been addressed before.

The house in which I'll be living until mid August has steep ditches in front and in back. Water collects in the front ditch after moderate to heavy rains but eventually drains. The back ditch is more problematic - it's so wet there that I can't even walk in the area - last time I tried it I sank about 1.5" into the mud. I've also slipped and fallen on the slope of the ditch. The commercial mower who takes care of the lawn also got stuck there (pulling out his mower was more difficult than pulling out my feet!).

I would like to plant something which adds to the appeal of the rest of the border, which has lovely conifers. I'm still hopeful I can sell the house before I leave. Notwithstanding that issue, I don't like the idea of so much moisture being everpresent in the area.

Any thoughts on whether gunnera would grow in this soggy ditch? I would have to throw the seeds in the area as it's too slippery to even try to get down in the ditch to plant.

Since I won't be staying here, I don't want to invest in anything more expensive than seeds.

Thanks for any thoughts and suggestions.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Gunnera for a wet ditch?

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

I'm not sure that Gunnera is really hardy in all the great lakes states. What about yellow flag Iris? Or blue flag Iris? They like those conditions and grow pretty quick.

Sorry for the late reply :(

Chris
WindDancer

Re: Gunnera for a wet ditch?

Post by WindDancer »

Chris, thanks for the reply and the suggestions. Since I posted in May, the time at which I remain at this house has shortened and I've now decided not to do any landscaping at all. I'll leave that to Fannie Mae which will soon have responsibility for the house.

But I do like the suggestion of iris for the type of situation I described - iris are some of my favorite flowers. I might use them at my next home if I have a water problem.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

WD
New Topic Post Reply