Ilex verticillata - where are the berries?

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

Susanne in Germany

Ilex verticillata - where are the berries?

Post by Susanne in Germany »

I have two shrubs of Ilex verticillata planted next to the pond in constantly moist, slightly acidic soil in a sunny position. They do well and have grown to a height of 1,20 m and 1,50 m within 8 years. The nursery assured me that rooted cuttings of both male and female plants were used when planting these Ilexes.

Both shrubs flower nicely with lots and lots of little white starflowers along their branches, followed by again lots and lots of little green berries. From this I conclude that the plants are both fertile.
However, latest by the end of June all green berries are shed. Within eight years, only one single berry succeeded to ripen to a full red colour.

Any idea, why the berries don't stay and ripen?
Attachments
Ilex verticillata and daylily.jpg
Dee
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Dee »

Are they being eaten by animals or are they just dropping on the ground? :???:
Susanne in Germany

I'll dive under the shrubs tomorrow and will report... though my feeling says that no animals are involved.
DryGulch

No berries

Post by DryGulch »

If there really are both boy and girl ilex involved...I can never tell the boys from the girls! Good thing the ilex know, then I would say that pollination didn't happen...no bees? The one could have been pollinated by the wind or when brushed against.
Susanne in Germany

There were plenty of insects on the shrubs when they were in bloom, also I know that there are fruiting Ilex verticillata in other gardens around. Therefore I think that the necessary insects are present.
The shrubs should be twice boy and girl as I bought two containers.

I took a look yesterday, but couldn't find any of the tiny berries under the shrubs. However, this is mainly due to the fact, that the area under the shrubs is covered with mulch and Hosta leaves. Therefore it is hardly possible to detect the berries.

On the other hand I found several brown remainders of berries on the shrubs - as if they would have d(r)ied on the plant.
We had several hot and dry weeks this year, still I can't imagine that the shrubs suffered from heat while their roots were always in moist soil. And the weather isn't the same every year either.

I want berries... :cry:
New Topic Post Reply