Experience with the Variegated Pagoda Dogwoods

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

DryGulch

Experience with the Variegated Pagoda Dogwoods

Post by DryGulch »

Is anyone growing the variegated pagoda dogwoods-- Golden Shadows or argentea? Your experiences, good or bad? How fast did it grow and do you believe you sited it correctly?
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

I have lost a couple of them, probably because I should have gone for a larger one to begin with. Late summer drought did them in. I have another one going now, in a location with some protection from wind and shade in the afternoon.
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Viktoria, have you noticed them to be more 'finicky' than regular dogwoods? I'm looking at them too, for my new hosta bed next spring. I have another Kousa dogwood that I have had good success with and this new one would be in a similar location...

Thanks for the question, DryGulch. Amazingly enough, when I opened this section, I was going to ask about Dogwoods.... :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

I do not think they are any more finicky.
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Thanks, Viktoria! :D I'd really like the agentea, but being the price they are I wanted to research a little. Not sure I can even find one locally...
Charla
DryGulch

Variegated cornus alnifolias

Post by DryGulch »

I planted a regular pagoda dogwood in my hosta bed this year and was impressed with its structure, definitely a nice smaller tree. This fall the color was a nice purpley red which to borrow language from my 13-year-old son is AWESOME.

The only ones I have seen elsewhere outside the internet and books were at the Olbrich Bot. Gardens by Madison. Neither appeared to be sited well and were sort of dry. Believe it or not, a garden as impressive in other areas still appears to hand water everything and with the WI drought, they did not look the best.

Does anyone know of their fall color?
Den

Post by Den »

Cornus alternifolia is indeed a lovely NA Native dogwood . The only negative side is that the deer will chew them apart given an ample opportunity . Back in the wood lot I have an 8' tall cornus alternifolia ; for plant structure alone it stands out in the crowd .
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Thanks, Den! That's good news as I really want to add one to a new bed I am building. Deer aren't a problem for me as I have two large dogs that keep them at a distance. I guess I'll start shopping! :D
Charla
New Topic Post Reply