Need shade tree ideas

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Need shade tree ideas

Post by Annie »

Ok so those UGLY mulberry trees mostly died off. Now I have no shade what so ever in my back yard.

What make good shade trees, that don't take 100 billion years to grow? I mean I want to still be kickin when they are big enough to make shade :lol:

I've been looking at either Birch trees or some sort of Maple.

This maple (Autumn Blaze Freeman Maple) as an example. I would really like some fall color other than yellow.. Or is this like the icky Maples that I already have in my side yard where the branches fall off at a hint of a breeze?

Any other ideas on shade trees that I might be missing??
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Oh Lord...........I saw this too late, Annie....I did that tree asking last year.....it's enough to make you head swim.....Chris can help....:lol: You don't want Maple....I will have to look back and do a search for my threads.....

Good Luck!!! :cool:
Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Annie »

Thanks Lucy. I have been looking and looking and looking :-?

I love Ash trees, but that durn ash bug is getting closer and closer to us! The one that kills the ash trees. So I know thats out.

I also like locust trees, the ones that flower. But my brother has a huge one in his yard and says the branches fall all the time.
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
Buckeye

Post by Buckeye »

So many great trees....and so few years to grow them! I love any beech, and many of the oaks, but they can be painfully slow. For a quick growing tree, search out a Katsuratree (Cercidiphyllum japonicum). To quote Michael Dirr in his book Manual of Woody Landscape Plants: "If I could use only one tree, this would be my first tree." The only downside I have seen to katsuratree is that it needs very regular watering the first couple years, but it is a GREAT tree.
DryGulch

a tree (s)

Post by DryGulch »

Crimson Frost birch
Japanese lilac tree
Korean ash (sorbus.. not related to the EAB ash)
Heritage river birch clump
Den

Post by Den »

Liriodendron tulipfera ' variegata ' ; Acer davidii ; Cornus macrophylla ; Magnolia kobus ; Magnolia tripetala ; Magnolia hypoleuca and Metasequoia glyptostroboides .
DryGulch

Some great suggestions already!

Post by DryGulch »

I was exposed to the Korean ash (think of its more familiar rrelation mountain ash...no relation to those being decimated by EAB) and was impressed by its form, foliage (leaves appeqar pleated), warm honey orange fall color and it beautiful bark.

The Katsura is wonderful too and it has an interesting form even when immature. I planted two 3' tall ones in my yard and underplanted with barberry. The fall color was nice, too. The leaves are heart-shaped with reddish petioles.

The May Day trees I have, although they don not have burgundy foliage like the Shubert Select or Canada May Day still have a nice fall color, nice spring flower.

You are also far enough south for a gingo.

The Crimson Frost birch has a beautiful caramel colored bark, striking burgundy foliage that does not green out in heat, but as they have betula pendula in their heritage, need training and guidance as they grow. They are, however, resistant to the bronze birch borer.

The Japanese lilac flowers is very hardy and deer resistant, so it that is an issue...

Still, I wouldn't knock the Autumn Blaze maple, they have a lot of good points.

Also, for those considering the ash, I have been reading about studies on systemic treatments of trees near EAB-infected ash as withstanding the assault by EAB. If you want to save your ash, find an arborist who is in the know about this research.

I will also offer some of the newer disease resistant crabapples as being sure to please.... the weeping Red Jade, Prairie Fire, and Red Jewel, all being great. Also the double Brandywine.

As I am into edible landscaping, I will also mention the apple Honeycrisp (if possible grafted on dwarf root stock). If you have a few crab apples near they can serve as pollinators (indian Summer is preferred. Great as an eating apple, (think of Fireside and Gala in one) they also store well and can be used in cooking if pushed). Mine bore 44 perfect incredible organic apples when 4 years old.
New Topic Post Reply