My Pick Me Up!.....(I added a picture and have a question)

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

LucyGoose

My Pick Me Up!.....(I added a picture and have a question)

Post by LucyGoose »

Lookie what I got at the friendly Wal-Mart! I needed to go there after a doctor appointment, and they had these maples on sale. (not that big of a sale yet....only marked them down like 3 bucks...) anyway....Is this a good deal? It's pretty little. I payed $22.

It's a Crimson Queen Japanese Maple......Can anyone tell me anything about what it likes?

Thanks!
Attachments
not that good a picture...it was getting dark.
not that good a picture...it was getting dark.
Last edited by LucyGoose on Oct 10, 2004 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Nice find LG!! I've lost 2 of them now to a maple disease so I don't think you want me to give you advice. Plant it in a spot where it will have room to grow and a place where you won't be moving it. They are so beautiful when they are all grown up.
Christie-SW-MO

Post by Christie-SW-MO »

Wow! Looks like you got a good one. I love Japanese maples! The link below says:
" Crimson Queen - This is becoming one of the most popular of the red dissectums—noted for the persistence of deep red foliage, which does not “bronze-out”.
Hardy, deciduous tree, aging to a beautiful cascade form reaching 8-10' in height and spreading to 14'. Beautiful for accent piece or container planting.
Fall colors range into the bright scarlet tones.
Shows good heat tolerance, however, the color will become more orange-red under these conditions. "
http://www.regannursery.com/also_in_sto ... s_list.htm
I keep getting a runtime error so I just copied the info for you.
I have to take my daughter to the orthodontist today. I think I should get a treat too. :lol:
Seriously - I hope you didn't get bad news or something at your doctor appointment. Is everything ok?
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Okay, I just planted this tree tonight, and when I took it out of the pot, I thought the roots would have been bigger.......Should they have been? Or is it me? It hasn't done anything really since I potted it up. I mean, maybe just 3 little leaves since I bought it......Are they that slow? I sure hope it makes it this winter.....It is soooo little looking in the spot, so I planted my Brenda's Beauty there in the front....I'm hoping that Brenda's Beauty will do good there, too.....It will have sun till about 1o'clock'ish......But in my new book, it said it could take sun in the morning.....I know, I am off the tree subject..... :roll: Took these pictures at dark ....

Thanks!!
Attachments
Pic's 387.jpg
Pic's 386.jpg
Pic's 382.jpg
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

It looks very nice, Lucy! :D Your Brenda's Beauty looks good there too. Give your JM some time and I'm sure it will grow. It's only been about three months since you bought it. I'll bet it will put out some new growth in the spring.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
jay dee

Japanese maple

Post by jay dee »

For such a young tree, it has plenty of roots. Roots on maples are shallowing growing, not deep and with a tree as young as yours, it really seems very adequate.

No new leaves is actually a good thing. It means the leaves weren't stressed or broken off. If you want additional branching, next spring before the buds break, do some light pruning on the tips of the branches. This will encourage more branching lower on the trunk and limbs. DO NOT prune anything back now because you would probably induce tip or branch die back from the approaching winter.

Balanced fertilizer in the spring and fall and you will have a beautiful tree for many years.

jay dee
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Oh thanks, jay dee!! That is encouraging news!! I will do the light pruning in the early spring. I feel much better....It is a cute little thing, and I love to watch something little grow....Yeah, it just kinda did nothing, didn't loose any leaves, and grew just a couple.....Thanks so much!! :D
jay dee

Japanese maple

Post by jay dee »

Hey Lucy - Time to think about pruning your maple. Watch for the buds to start swelling and trim before it leafs out.

Don't be afraid to cut it back hard because you will encourage dormant buds to appear and the tree will get fuller in the coming years.

Fertilize with a balanced fertilizer spring and fall. Enjoy your tree.

jay dee
toomanyanimals
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by toomanyanimals »

LG, how grows the J. Maple?

We have ours planted in a protected area with morning sun and it has flourished! I was bumming to read yours said it could have a 14 ft spread. OUrs is already taking up too much room. Didn't think this one out I guess. :oops:

This picture is from last August and already this spring it has spread to touch the evergreen bush on the left side of the picture.

Sharon
Attachments
Fron of house with blooming rose of sharon in the background.
Fron of house with blooming rose of sharon in the background.
Be not simply good; be good for something.
Henry David Thoreau
New Topic Post Reply