Can You Identify These Trees?

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

Kana_Z6

Can You Identify These Trees?

Post by Kana_Z6 »

I have no clue as to what they could be. Any help would be appreciated. :D

Kana_Z6

Post by Kana_Z6 »

Another shot of what looks to be berries.

Kana_Z6

Post by Kana_Z6 »

And this is how the trees look.

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

That is Sumac. I'm not exactly sure which species that is, but it is a very weedy shrub/tree that grows from suckers underground. They can be very pretty in the fall, but you wouldn't want them in any kind of formal landscaping.

On several occasions I've seen landscapers installing Sumac for its fall color and seed heads, but in each case they put them in as if the plants would stay put and never multiply :o

At our old place we had a large stand of staghorn sumac along the small hill on the side. Worked great there as it blocked the view of the mailboxes and helped to hold up the hill, plus they can be pretty. If any got into the garden on that side we would dig and pull up the runners.

Hope that helps!

Chris
Kana_Z6

Post by Kana_Z6 »

Thank You...I always thought they were a type of Sumac.

They are in my woods, a long way from the house, so I don't have to dig any up.

And a couple more questions.....

Aren't these poionous?

Do they attract any kinds of birds?

If so which ones?
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

I think that a lot of birds eat the sumac seeds. I've seen robins, bluebirds, cardinals and even some woodpeckers eating them during the winter. Not sure if they attract any one particular bird over another, but it is a good food source during the winter.

There is one species that contains an oil that is similar to poison ivy and can cause a rash on exposed skin. I don't know how common it is. I've never come in contact with it or seen it (as far as I know) anywhere that I've lived in Michigan. But I would guess, like poison ivy, the birds would still eat the berries. I don't know that for sure though.
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

I just looked it up and saw that it is also an important food source for turkey, pheasant, quail, and deer too. I wonder if we have that on our new property? We have all of those animals here (too many of the deer :eek: )
New Topic Post Reply