Lilac from cutting?

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

Hoosier Gardener

Lilac from cutting?

Post by Hoosier Gardener »

A neighbor has a lilac bush and has kindly offered to let me take a couple of cuttings. Will the lilac start from a cutting?
John

Post by John »

I imagine cuttings might work; if your neighbor allowed, there are very likely rooted suckers nearby the main lilac plant that would give you nice plants sooner.
Hoosier Gardener

Thanks John. I haven't taken a good look around the base of the lilac bush but as you said there are probably some suckers there.
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

The suckers are your best bet. There very time specific and moisture sensative when started from cuttings. My mom used to do it all the time. I never had much luck.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Hey, I can start them from cuttings!! Just cut a branch and stick it where you can watch it in a shade cool spot.
John

Post by John »

You're welcome, Hoosier Gardener!
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

Lilac cuttings taken of new growth two weeks after bloom root best. As far as I know, the people who just stick branches in the ground are doing it with the common one. Some of the hybrids are much fussier than others; 'Rochester' and 'Mrs. W.E. Marshall' are notorious.
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
Hoosier Gardener

Thanks for the replies. The lilacs are just starting to bloom so I'll take a couple of cuttings in two weeks.
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

I have some beauriful lilacs started easily from cuttings!

Just take a spade and seperate a few of the wandering suckers.......I started them in a promix (soiless) mixture so they could form a good rootball before planting in my yard.

Love those lilacs!.......p :wink:
Hoosier Gardener

Please bear with me as I am truly new at gardening. Where can I buy this soiless mixture? Should I just plant this in a container with the soiless mixture and then transplant it next spring?
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

K, how long do they take to root in your area? Do you leave them over winter before traansplanting? Might try a few in pots also. I'm gonna try a purple one of mine.
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

OED, I take cuttings of new growth with four sets of leaves and remove two sets. I then dip in rooting hormone and stick in vermiculite. I upend a quart canning jar (plastic bag is fine) over the cutting. You can put several cuttings to a pot but I prefer to do them individually; that way, if one fails, I still have the others. Put in bright, indirect light. It takes 1-2 months to have sufficient roots to pot it up. Gradually remove cover. The first time you do it, the cutting appears to wilt, so put the cover back on. The next day leave it off for a bit longer. It may take two weeks to "wean" the cutting. Pot up and put in a sheltered place (no sun or wind). It is easy to lose plants this size in the garden, so I prefer to grow them in a container for a year and then place in a nursery bed.
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

OED, I just took 3 cuttings after they bloomed and suck them in the ground next to the mother plant that was in a semi shaded area. Now they all look like sisters! I've also have done this with 2 cutting of the old time deep purple from a friends yard and that one is now huge. This one was done in a warmer spot but I lost the one cutting. Will be doing this one again as I love the lilac corner of the yard!
To be honest I just cut and forgot about them as I don't have windows on that side of the house to watch them. In that area we have a clay soil that was trucked in and the cuttings go into that soil.
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Most of my cuttings of any kind are started under plastic milk jug "cloches" (sp). I may have taken them off to soon for the lilacs I've tried. Gonna do both methods suggested by you two lovely ladies. :wink:
Hoosier Gardener

OED now I know why I was saving those plastic milk jugs. For cloches. Thanks for reminding me. :lol:
New Topic Post Reply