Can anyone ID this?

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

mooie

Can anyone ID this?

Post by mooie »

This is growing in my way over neglected fence row left by the previous owner. I didn't notice it last year, but the little flowers caught my eye last night and when I bent over to sniff the little bloom, I found it to be very very fragrant! :D Anyone have any ideas? This old fence is coming out soon along with all the nasty stuff growing up in it. But I don't want to take out something that may be desirable! :o Thanks!

mooie
Attachments
whatisit.jpg
~Imagine~
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Not sure what it is but there's an old garden expression that says "A rose is a weed if you don't like it in your garden". If it's attractive to you, then keep it. I just took a cutting off of something very similar in the woods. If I figure it out, I'll sure let you know.
Buckeye

Post by Buckeye »

It looks like some kind of privet, but most people can't get their nose away from a privet flower fast enough!
mooie

Post by mooie »

No, this smells sweet almost like a lilac. I know there are some eastern wahoo's in there somewhere, cuz I've seen the seed pods in the fall. Wonder if that's the bloom? It's so overgrown with so much in there it's hard to tell where things start or stop! :o Not to mention the poison ivy I spotted..

mooie
~Imagine~
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Not an Eastern Wahoo. They have a dark red flower. Also, the EW, Euonymus,atropurpureus, has kind of a four cornered branch.
I have to agree with Buckeye on looking like a privet. The ones (like you have) here have a nice scent also. I'm still lookin. :wink:
New Topic Post Reply