Ash tree problem?

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

newtohosta-no more

Ash tree problem?

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I think one of the trees that I have is a black ash. Just recently it starting dropping it's leaves at an alarming rate. The leaves also seem to have large brown spots on them. I have never seen this tree do that before, so I'm wondering if it has some sort of virus....or whatever trees can get? Anyone have any ideas that I can research? I already have one tree in my big hosta bed that is going to have to come down and another tree in the yard that needs to be trimmed because of huge dead limbs. I hope this is not a problem that will result in my having to take this ash tree down also.

:(

TIA for your help.
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Primroselane

Post by Primroselane »

http://www.emeraldashborer.info/

check out this web site, sorry to hear about your ash tree
Lucille
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

A couplle of possibilities with Ash. Leaf spot (Mycosphaerella), or Ash Anthracnose. These are the two things most prevalant in the reference book I have.
"Diseases of Trees and Shrubs"
by Wayne A. Sinclair, Howard H. Lyon, and Warren T. Johnson.
newtohosta-no more

Thank you very much for the link and the suggestions. I'll do some research on them. :)
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

newtohosta-no more

Interestingly enough....I just got done reading my morning newspaper and in the lawn and garden section was a question and answer column from OSU. The very first question was from a person asking about a problem with their Ash tree. The description sounds exactly like what is going on with my tree!!! They were concerned about the ash borer, but the answer stated that the problem was Anthracnose. So I guess that answers my question. :)
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

New Topic Post Reply