Help with picking tree....

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

lizabug1

Help with picking tree....

Post by lizabug1 »

Good afternoon all! Here is my dilemma. On the North side of my home I have a long (45ft.) but narrow (5ft.) Hosta bed. I would like to add some highth to this bed. I love the ornamental trees that are out there but Im not sure what would do best. I do not like trees that bare fruit, too messy for me. The location receives a very small amount of filtered sun in the a.m. and in the very late afternoon it gets a few hours. I am also worried about tree roots as there is a sidewalk that runs the length of the bed. Considering all of these variables, Am I just out of luck for planting a tree here? Thanks for your time. ~Liz~
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

That five foot width is a killer for anykind of tree. Why not try some tall, shade perennials, or possibly a shrub? Hopefully, someone smarter then me will have a better answer.
DryGulch

Have you considered shrubs?

Post by DryGulch »

Difficult site for sure!

There is an ornamental crab Red Baron that is supposed to have a very narrow growth habit, also arborvitae Techny, maybe, tall, colorfully-painted tuteurs with clematis?

Shrubs? Dogwood, forsythia, potentilla, burning bush...all will make the best of a difficult site, are salt tolerant...
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Just a guess here - but would Sky Pencil Holly work there?

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
lizabug1

Post by lizabug1 »

Just want to say Thanks for the suggestions. I did a google search of these named trees and got all excited when I saw what the sky pencil holly was like. But then kept reading and found out it is only hardy to zone 7. Im in zone 5. Darn!!
I think I may end up going with some of the shrubs that were mentioned. I have always loved the dogwoods and they get a good height for the area where I would plant them.. Now if Mother Nature would only cooperate and somebody would tell her that it is Spring in the Quad Cities now I will be all set. Thanks again all. Im dying to get my hands in the dirt! ~Liz~
New Topic Post Reply