??? about Prairiefire Crabapple Tree???

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

pretends_to_garden

??? about Prairiefire Crabapple Tree???

Post by pretends_to_garden »

OK, I lurk ALOT, just trying to learn about everything in general.

I was trying to figure out what kind of small ornamental tree to put in my small front yard; crabapple, redbud, serviceberry, etc.
I heard SO many good things about the Prairiefire Crabapple, and saw one at one of the local big box stores, and thought it was gorgeous, went on and on about it to my sister.....and she went and bought me one!!!
My neighbor (up the block) is a master gardener and thought it was just beautiful; I thought I had picked out THE perfect tree for my front yard.......then my neighbor that lives a couple dors up said..."you're going to have bird sh** all over your car!!!

:cry: WAAAA We spent about $200.00 about 5 yrs ago having nasty mulberry trees cut down behind our house.

Any comments anyone???

Theresa
mooie

Post by mooie »

:o In no way can a crab tree be compared to a mulberry tree so you can relax on that score! 'Prairiefire' is an awesome tree. The fruit from this tree is 'persistant' meaning the fruit will cling to the tree until it is eaten or it dries up and blows away. I have had several of these crab trees and haven't ever had a problem with the fruit. (unlike the mulberries!!) The fruit ripens at different times also, (much later). and also let me mention, the shape of the tree is also different and will get no where near as tall as the mulberry, giving the birds a chance to do 'their duty' on your car. :lol: You made an excellent choice!

mooie
~Imagine~
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Ditto with Mooie! 'Prariefire' is one of the better crabapples for disease resistance. A lot of them are really prone to rust, scab and tons of other stuff.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Well guess who just bought 2 crabapples today??? :o I hope I did good, cause I got....

Robinson
Profusion
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Ill look em up for ya sis!
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I have already Googled them, and The Robinson is supposed to be pretty good for disease. I think that the Profusion is too.....Am I right?
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

It says Robinson is Highly resistant. Profusion is Moderately susceptable to powdery mildew, slightly susceptible to scab and fireblight.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Is there anything to do for the Profusion?
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

My book 'Manual of Woody Landscape Plants' by Michael Dirr, doesn't really go into any kinds of treatment. Powdery mildew is more of a cosmetic thing with CAs I think. Rust is not a big problem unless you have lots of cedar trees around. The rust alternates every year between the CAs and the cedar trees. Not sure about the fireblight. I think MOST crabapple problems are more problems in the south.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Thanks Bro!!! Your a doll!! I think I will be fine with them now.....can't wait to see how long it takes me to tell DH where to dig.........:lol:

Theresa, I hope this helps you, too. :P
mooie

Post by mooie »

Lots of times the spring weather also factors in as to whether your crab tree will get the diseases. A really cool wet spring = ack! Fungicides applied at the right times will keep it under control however, if your particular tree is not resistant. Robinson and Profusion are a couple of the better ones, which is why you will see them more commonly for sale at the nursery. Enjoy Lucy!! :D

mooie
~Imagine~
pretends_to_garden

Thanks for all the input everyone!
I thought that I had picked out the perfect tree, but there is always someone that has to burst my bubble.

I feel a lot better, thank you!.......(especially since it was not exactly a very cheap tree...it is a really good size tree; taller than me)
Thanks mooie, OED, and Lucygoose!

Theresa

Hey Lucygoose, did you take all your pots out of the garage yet?
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Theresa, I think you did good! You got the Prairiefire! I saw that at a nursery here the same day that I got my two from Home Depot.....It was a good size tree with a huge root ball that I would have to call my dad with the truck to get here....they wanted $150 for it.....I wanted something that I could get home and have DH dig a normal hole and plant.....I like watching things grow anyway...and you have to know my DH....:lol:

i did take out a few of the corral bells and I did take out 3 brugs from the house.....I know I should take stuff out and water them...most of the hosta's are showing eyes, and the roses are budding.....I was out today weeding....and I could not believe how stuff is taking off.....

I took pictures of my trees, but have not loaded them yet.....did I tell you how much I payed?? But now they are small but like 7-8 feet tall.......cute......later this week they will be planted......it's rainy and JH has been working all weekend 9-10 hour days sometimes......

I am shutting up!! :lol:
DryGulch

Prairie Fire

Post by DryGulch »

I am voting that yes, Prairie Fire is a great tree...it does get 20' x 20' thoudh and is beautiful when in bloom, and the bark is a nice color, prettily marked in winter. The barries hang on and have nice color....very nice.
pretends_to_garden

Oh! The one that my sister bought me wasn't that much :eek: Yikes! The tag said $59.00. And it too is about 7 or 8 foot tall. The one you saw must have been HUGE!!

It's just that you can get them from the Arborday website for a LOT less than that, but they are a LOT smaller too. I guess if I had a lot of room, and wanted to buy a lot of them, (and was a lot younger; had the time to watch them grow) I would get them from there....very reasonable, plus they have package deals where you can get 10 free trees just for joining. I don't have room for that many trees.....if anyone here does, look into it, it seems like a great deal!

Like I said, EVERYTHING I have heard or read about this tree was great. Color , fruit, disease resistance, size, everything.

Thanks again everyone!

Theresa
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I'm a little late chiming in on this thread. You will definitely not have a problem with bird doo. The fruit doesn't drop on your lawn or sidewalk to make a gooey mess either. In fact, there are still some of last years fruit hanging on mine today. The birds do eat it, but most of the time they are eaten just as the birds are preparing for their southern migration, and the rest are eaten by the robins as they arrive in the spring. I have 6 crabapple varieties, and Prairie Fire is definitely my favorite.
Linda P
Attachments
This is a fall pic.  The foliage color is spectacular.
This is a fall pic. The foliage color is spectacular.
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply