Don't fence me in

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

Rocco

Don't fence me in

Post by Rocco »

While taking a shortcut through an old abandoned school yard recently,I came upon this unusual sight.I believe this remarkable tree deserves a tribute for it's tenacity and perseverance,because in it's will to survive,it literally "ate"the top rail and part of the chain link fence which stood in it's way.The base of the tree also grew up and over the curbing.
I am not too good at identifying trees,so I have no clue as to what kind of tree it is.However!...I showed it to my friend Brad,who is a self proclaimed,smartest man in the world,(I believe everyone knows someone just like him)Brad insists the tree is a Sumac.It does have a lance shaped,saw tooth leaf,but it is more than 50 feet tall.Correct me if I am wrong,I thought Sumac trees grew small or bush like.If someone can identify it I will be very grateful,I hope it is anything but a Sumac or I will have to make a very humble apology.
Thank you Rocco.
Attachments
Garden Pics003.JPG
Garden Pics004.JPG
Garden Pics002.JPG
"No occupation is so delightful to me as the culture of the earth,and no culture comparable as that of the garden" (Thomas Jefferson) 1811
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

:cool: pics! My guess, based on the leaves in the middle pics and the bark, is Ailanthus "Tree of Heaven". We called them stink weed trees as a kid.
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

HI, Rocco, long time no see :wink: .

I agree with OED. Crush a leaf and the unpleasant odor will verify the ID.

Viktoria
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
Rocco

Post by Rocco »

Thank you, O.E.D. and Viktoria!I checked out Ailanthus on Google and the description fits.It is a Chinese Sumac,so i'll soon be eating crow.
Rocco.
"No occupation is so delightful to me as the culture of the earth,and no culture comparable as that of the garden" (Thomas Jefferson) 1811
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Pretty cool :o Amazing what trees can accomplish when faced with a challenge!

This was something I found by accident on eBay....kind of follows the same strange tree behavior! (Item number: 190011006488 if it doesn't show up....I was tempted to get it just to look at it!......p :wink:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Not sure if it really grew this way or not!
mrg
USDA Zone: 5B-6A

Post by mrg »

The top rail on the fence sort of reminds me of some peoples belt LOL
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Hey, Rocco, that is one cool pic. Did anyone else see the lizard face? :o
Now, on the matter of 'eating crow'. I think I can keep those feathers out of your mouth.
Alianthus altissimia: a member of the quassia family. An invasive non-native species that can colonize and displace natives, uprooting the ecology of the area.
From the Plant Conservation Alliance Least Wanted List:

NOTE: Correct identification of ailanthus is essential. Several native shrubs, like sumacs, and trees, like ash, black walnut and pecan, can be confused with ailanthus. Staghorn sumac (Rhus typhina), native to the eastern U.S., is distinguished from ailanthus by its fuzzy, reddish-brown branches and leaf stems, erect, red, fuzzy fruits, and leaflets with toothed margins.
http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/aial1.htm

Rhus typhinia: a member of the anacardiacae family. A native plant with many desirable features in the right location.
So, your friend Brad has made a serious error in identifying it as a sumac! :D
Good luck, and I hope you haven't swallowed the last feather yet.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

If I'm not mistaken, this is the tree that is the basis for the novel "A tree grows in Brooklin".
New Topic Post Reply