Fruit trees bleeding

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

Gardentoad
USDA Zone: 5

Fruit trees bleeding

Post by Gardentoad »

Last summer we had a drought and a couple of my trees started bleeding. I thought it was from watering themtoo much at a time after extreme heat and drought.

The bleeding stopped, but started up again when we get warm days this winter. I have several fruit trees but only 2 are doing this. One is a pum and the other is a grafted 4 fruit tree with plum, apricot, nectarine and peach. The graft tree I've had for 3 years and one graft died the first year. It hasn't fruited yet and I don't know which type of fruit died off. This tree is about 18 feet from a peach tree that is not bleeding at the bark, but some of the few peaches it had last year did bleed. (I had few fruit because of an early warming up in the 70's in the spring and then 2 nights in the 20-30's during bloom.)

The plum tree is just an ornamental plum that is near a much younger Burbank plum and wilson apricot. Neither of these are bleeding.
I don't see any signs of bugs such as holes. It looks like the bark just split.

If you can't help me but know of a place I can go on the web to ask this please let me know.
Attachments
this is the plum tree in the front yard Picture is of west side of tree.
this is the plum tree in the front yard Picture is of west side of tree.
This is the grafted tree in the back yard. Picture is of north side of tree. (I filed the picture with the wrong name.)
This is the grafted tree in the back yard. Picture is of north side of tree. (I filed the picture with the wrong name.)
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I found this page with information, although it didn't mention any specific treatments. Still, it might help you to narrow it down:

http://www.walterreeves.com/landscaping ... =18&id=541
Gardentoad
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Gardentoad »

Thanks Chris,
That does sound like what happened to my trees. I checked my cherrys today, I have 6 cherry trees of 4 different kinds and none of them had been bleeding.

It got up to 65 here today. Most of the globs of sap fell off of the trees and no more sap is coming out.
I'll just leave them alone.
New Topic Post Reply