Ternstroemia gymnanthera vs Cleyera japonica

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

Robyn

Ternstroemia gymnanthera vs Cleyera japonica

Post by Robyn »

I have been doing some research on the net and am very confused. Are these two different shrubs. Seems as though Cleyera is used in describing both. I have read that they are deer resistant or not depending on the website. Does anyone have any experience.
Robyn - Zone 7b
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Two different but simular? Does that make sence? Both are evergreen but different blooms.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
DryGulch

Okay...

Post by DryGulch »

Whipping out the Dr. Michael Dirr "Manual of Woody Landscape Plants" (my herbaceous Bible)...
"the Cleyera japonica is a related species". "Sometimes the Ternstroemia is sold as the other..."

If the tips of the leaves are "blunted" or rounded it is ternstroemia, cleyera is decided pointed.The ternstroemias sound like the better plant for landscape use and may even make a nice specimen plant from Dirr's description.
Robyn

Post by Robyn »

Do you know if they are both related to camellias. The deer love camellias so that might give me some indication how these would fare in my yard.
Robyn - Zone 7b
kHT

Post by kHT »

Cleyera, would be the family name but they are in the Theaceae and are evergreen shrubs. The first one is relative to the Camella. My readings some where states that the japonica is deer resistant, if my memory serves me.
I would think the waxer the leaves the move the deers would leave it alone?
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
Robyn

Post by Robyn »

Thanks for all the info. Will keep looking for a local source.
Robyn - Zone 7b
Robyn

Post by Robyn »

Got Ternstroemia gymnanthera 'Bronze Beauty' at a local nursery. Very nice so far. Will have to wait for winter to see what the deer do.
Robyn - Zone 7b
kHT

Post by kHT »

No photo? Enjoy!!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
globalavenger
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Ternstroemia gymnanthera vs Cleyera japonica

Post by globalavenger »

I know this is an old string but I want to get this on record. Cleyera Japonica is a distinctly different plant than Ternstroemia Gymnanthera. With 20+ years in retail nurseries I know what I'm talking about. There was a subtle change back in the 80's by the wholesale growers. Perhaps Cleyera was too difficult or expensive to propagate, but whatever the reason I began receiving Ternstroemia when ordering Cleyera. They tried to tell me it was the same and in future and now present labels they are calling Cleyeras, Ternstroemia! There is a BIG difference! Ternstroemia is used for furniture wood in Japan. So when the unsuspecting customer plants Ternstroemia expecting Cleyera's growth habit, SURPRISE! They get a large, leggy, woody mess. It looks as if the wholesalers have pulled one over on the unsuspecting public.
New Topic Post Reply