Digging up Japanese Maples

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

FreakyCola
USDA Zone: 5

Digging up Japanese Maples

Post by FreakyCola »

I have a 4' tall japanese maple I'd like to relocate. Has anyone got any idea how long the roots would be? It's been there about 4 years.
thanks,
Ellen
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

Roots of Japanese maples are fairly shallow as a rule, and should be easy to move if you follow all the normal precautions
First ... do NOT attempt to move the tree until it is dormant. Over here the best time is late autumn, but if your ground is inclined to freeze fairly solid in winter, then spring (before budding) is the best time
Second ... dig the planting hole before you start ... you want the tree not to even notice that it has been moved, therefore it has to be out of the ground for as little time as possible. Don't dig too deep ... a wide 'saucer' is best, and the tree is better raised up above ground level and mounded up around the roots, as they INSIST on good drainage (make sure your new position is in a well drained location)
Third .... Japanese maples need a constant source of moisture (NOT continually wet though ... remember the good drainage) so make sure it is properly watered at least for the first year or so after moving
Fourth ..... sing it a little song in Japanese or play some Japanese music as it is re-planted, to make it feel at home :)
(The last one has yet to be scientifically proven, but why not try it anyway. Make sure the neighbours are away on holiday :D :D :D))
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Fourth ..... sing it a little song in Japanese or play some Japanese music as it is re-planted, to make it feel at home

:lol: Sam!

Since I planted mine in Feb I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will "take". Any chance I can get you to pop over and perform some kabuki for it?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great advice though - and definitely keep it well watered! I am actually trying something sort of different with this one - I have starts of Irish Moss growing over the soil as a groundcover. Hopefully they will coexist nicely!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
FreakyCola
USDA Zone: 5

Post by FreakyCola »

Thanks for the tips! Have you seen this blow up plastic ring you put water in that fits around the tree? It soaks out slowly. I thought it was a good idea till I saw the price around $30!

My neighbors have a big JM & it usually throws a few seedlings in my yard each year. This year there are thousands all over the back, front & side yards! I've even seen a few on the opposite side of my house! The yard looks like it has some kind of red ground cover popping up.
I'll just dig them up & sell them at my plant sale!
New Topic Post Reply