Need help picking a crabapple tree!

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

CapeMaui

Need help picking a crabapple tree!

Post by CapeMaui »

Just found this forum and LOVE it! I'm hoping to get some help picking a crabapple tree for our front yard.

Our front yard is not that big and gets full afternoon sun, so I'm hoping for something that's more upright and not too big. I don't care about the flowering color (I love flowers, so any color is great! :D ) What I am looking for is persisting fruit (don't want messy fruit all over the small front yard) and high disease resistance!

So far, I have narrowed my choices down to the following, please give me any suggestions or votes :)

Adam's
Adirondack
Coralburst
Profusion
Snowdrift
Sugar Tyme

I would've loved the Prairifire, unfortunately, I'm not able to find it locally... I know it's the best one out there...

Any thoughts on the list? Oh, and we're in CT...

Thanks in advance!!
pretends_to_garden

Post by pretends_to_garden »

I am absolutely no help, because I have a PraireFire, and it was ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS this year. I should have taken a pic when it was in bloom.
Sorry. Is there someplace online that you could order one from?
Theresa
CapeMaui

Post by CapeMaui »

I'm sure there's a place that I can order from online. Unfortunately, since I'm working with a landscaper, I'm not sure how comfortable he would be. Plus, I'm looking for something on the bigger side than what I've seen. (I'm seeing mostly 3-4 feet but we're looking for 6-8'). He said that he's going to try a few nurseries that he work with and see if they can special order it. But being at the end of the planting season, he doesn't think my chances are that good.

He also doesn't want us to get taken if it is in high demand. That's why we're considering alternatives right now. He doesn't want to go with nurseries that he knows has less quality specimens who has it. He wants to get the tree from nurseries that he knows has better quality plants. I know, it's probably just because he gets better deal at one over the other or seomthing like that. But he has been pretty upfront with us about everything so far. I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt.

So here I am, looking for some advise :)

Thanks!
Annie
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

I wanted PrairieFire so mail-ordered mine several years ago from the Arbor Foundation. It was even smaller than they said it would be, it got trashed by the HEAVY snow through its first two winters, and I waited patiently for it to FINALLY bloom this year, and this is what I got: (lol!)

Sorry that I can't comment on the list you've given -- but good luck in your search for a large healthy tree!
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

Don't overlook Indian Magic!

Somehow that doesn't look like Prairiefire bloom to me. I don't think you got the right tree, PartyMusic!
John

Post by John »

Not the 'advice' you're asking for, but I'd insist on the variety I want, it is a long term investment, and you'll be glad every spring. The landscaper is no doubt directing business to his contacts, understandably, but he's working for you.

I'd find it and mail order it, but check out the place on Garden Watchdog first.
DryGulch

Crabs

Post by DryGulch »

I am fairly familiar with all those that you have on your list and could add a couple others that are also nice. I agree with everyone, Prairiefire is a fanatastic crab. My understanding, though, is that it is not a tree for a small space!

Most nurseries get into ruts and order the same crabs again and again because those are the ones of which people know the names.

I think the most important aspects when choosing a crab is that it be CVI (certified virus indexed- dependent on a reputable source) and fire blight and disease (scab, etc.- dependent on inherent genetics of cultivar) resistant.

One person mentioned Indian Magic. If you have or ever consider having a Honeycrisp apple, Indian Magic is its best pollinator, surprisingly enough.

Of your list, Adam's, Adirondack, and Snowdrift get pretty big- 20'-25'! Sugar Tyme is sometimes ignored, but in many regions gets high marks.

I guess I would add to your list and here's why:

Red Jewel: Beautiful form, best I have seen in a crab, 15'H x 12' W, white bloom, but the best red heavy persistent fruit set.

Red Jade: An incredible weeping crab, pink blooms open to white with a touch of pink, red fruit, 12' x 12'. Pricier, sure, but I love mine. (Trees last a lifetime!)

Red Barron: If you are looking for an very small, VERY columnar tree...this is the one hands down. Purpley red blooms, red fruit.

Camelot: The foliage is leathery, thick. It is 10' H x 8' W. The color of the fruit did me in! A beautiful rich burgundy! Red buds open to a fuschia pink on white. It is one of the Roundtable Series, especially developed for small spaces and have a very formal feel. Any of the series is good (Camelot, Guinevere, Lancelot), Camelot is great.

I love Prairiefires, but it is not the end-all, be all. It is a much larger, adn more open and sprawling tree in its growth habit (not when young, but as it matures).
DryGulch

Post by DryGulch »

Oh, Also Brandywine has good form and the flowers are incredible rose pink cabbage rose style flowers!

As for your landscaper...it is not cost effective for him to run around shopping for one particular element for your landscape. Every nursery can not carry every cultivar, but any of these mentioned in this thread, are, I am sure available in some nursery close-by.

If you decide on a particular crab and he can not locate it for you, go shopping on your own and don't settle-- get what you really want.

If necessary, have hime leave that spot blank and after he has finished, install it yourself or talk to the nursery and see if they can arrange to have it installed for you.

It is your landscape.
New Topic Post Reply