Orchard maintenance

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

govgirl75
USDA Zone: 5

Orchard maintenance

Post by govgirl75 »

I need HELP!
About 25 years ago, I planted 6 semi dwarf apple trees. A couple years later, we got busy raising kids and the trees have grown with not much pruning and the pruning I did was not real good. They are about 25 to 30 feet tall. The trees produce bushels of wormy apples every year because I have not gotten the hang of spraying and they are just too large to spray. I will have more time to take care of the trees beginning next year when I retire.
I plan to hire an arborist to prune the trees while they are dormant and get them to a more manageable size but need to know if anyone has any advice for what I should be spraying and when. I have pets and the neighbors have little kids, so I would prefer sprays that would not hurt them, but I need sprays that will work. I have gone on the internet but the advice is pretty confusing. I live in Zone 5, northeast Ohio. Is anyone managing fruit trees? Could you help me figure out a schedule for spraying and what to spray?
Thanks for any help you can offer. :o
Gloria
DryGulch

Re: Orchard maintenance

Post by DryGulch »

I am struggling with the whole orchard tree care issue, too. I have been trying to maintain my few trees with organic methods. Luckily, I planted dwarfed stock, so I don't have the overgrown issue to deal with. I can, if I desire reach the entire tree. Also on dwarf stock the trees begin bearing fruit younger. I also choose disease resistant and certified virus indexed trees, so I am a little ahead of the game. I guess I would recommend that to start.

The first couple years I got away with perfect fruit using only organic methods. This year, I seem to have a lot of coddling moth, resulting in possible wormy apples. The deal with the coddling moth is they have more than one life cycle in a season, so ongoing vigilance is absolutely important. Also picking up any windfalls and removing them from the orchard and picking off any infected apples early and continued inspection. We also had frost only 5 inches down last winter so there seems to be more and different bugs than I have ever seen!

I think next spring I will resort to a dormant oil spray at 10 day intervals through the bud cycle to sort of start anew. What makes it difficult are old, unmaintained wormy apples growing in various yards nearby that are a ready source for reinfection from the coddling moths and other pests.

Anyone not maintaining nearby trees (1/4 mile) is a set back to your attempts.
govgirl75

Post by govgirl75 »

Thanks DryGulch!
I will pick up the windfalls in my yard. I am fortunate that none of my neighbors have fruit trees. I am sure I am good for at least 1/4 mile. I will try the dormant oil spray as well.
I am glad you suggested 10 day intervals. The articles I read said to use it once. If it will help my trees, I would be so happy. I think I have the plum curculio (sp?) on my trees. As soon as pollination occurs, I get a crescent shaped injury on the swelling where the apple will form. I am sure I have other things, I just don't know what.
When I planted the trees, I know I picked for cross pollination and disease resistance but I am sure they have done more to improve the strains since then. Still, I like my trees and given my age, do not want to have to start again. Any other suggestions you might have would be appreciated.
Gloria
DryGulch

Post by DryGulch »

From what I have know 3 times with dormant oil at 10 day intervals, around here definitely done by the May 20th or so. It is cold enough here the curculio (what is the spelling on that!) isn't prevalent. It can't live over. The WI University Extension office here has done some amazing testing and such for the home orchardist and has a lot of info online and available in downloadable PDF. I have an wonderful crop this year of Honeycrisps.

My grandfather was an orchardist, but used the full range of chemicals, ugh. I'm trying to get away from that, but there is a lot of crappy trees growing in hedgerows and such I can't control. So vigilance is my key. I'm not above taking the windfalls on a daily or near so basis and picking off blemished fruit (especially this time of year) and carefully cutting away any bad parts and making applesauce and apple butters; leaving the prize winners for eating raw and winter storage.

I think other than the potato and tomato, no other food has so many possible uses depending on the yeild quality than apples.
govgirl75

Post by govgirl75 »

Thank you so much for your help. I will try the WI University Extension online and read, read, read.
I will also make some applesauce this year. I may make some pies and freeze them for the winter.
What are some of the other things you do to take care of your trees?
Gloria
New Topic Post Reply