Is this a good or icky find....

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

LucyGoose

Is this a good or icky find....

Post by LucyGoose »

American Larch....Larix Laricina

I have one at work in the garden center , and it looks different......Is it worth the $20? I can take a picture of it later....and post......Thanks!!!!
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Is this a good or icky find....

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Lucygoose,

The price depends on the size. If it is a big one I'd buy it, but I've been wanting these to plant out here since they lose their needles in the winter so I don't have to worry about the winter winds blowing them over. We've had a lot of trees down in the past couple years. I've seen some really nice specimens of them.

Right now I have some little baby ones that are about 2' tall and all overwintered really well here.

Not sure how big they get though - do you have the room?
LucyGoose

Re: Is this a good or icky find....

Post by LucyGoose »

So, it's a cool one to have then? It is I would guess about, I don't know....less than 3 feet?? I have to go somewhere rally quick, and Jay is yelling for me to come... :lol: But I thought it was a real slow grower...and me...room??...it is a tree....I need trees....it looks cool....It's not much shade, though, right? But I can maybe plant it in the front....I should have passed it up......andther one they had ONE of is the Contorted Filbert *Contorta*.....but instead of 20 bucks, it's like $54.......Is that a cool/good one, too.....if you had the choice, which would you get??

Thanks Chris!!!!!!! Gotta go....Be back later
New Topic Post Reply