Crepe Myrtle - transplant shock or what?

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Crepe Myrtle - transplant shock or what?

Post by caliloo »

I got this Crepe Myrtle last week (var Catawba Purple) and many of the leaves have turned red and are dropping off. Is this just transplant shock?

The hole was roomy and I amended the soil, it has been well watered (as anyone in the Mid Atlantic can attest to, the animals are walking in pairs here) and is in almost full sun - not that there has been a lot of that!

Should I be worried or is it just acclimating?

Thanks in advance!

Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
govgirl75
USDA Zone: 5

Re: Crepe Myrtle - transplant shock or what?

Post by govgirl75 »

I have a crepe myrtle that we grow as a giant houseplant because it is not hardy in Zone 5 where I live. It does the same thing every time we move it from indoors to outdoors or vice versa. Give it time and it will straighten out. You may lose some of the branch tips (if your deer don't prune them for you first), but new branches and foliage will form just below that.
It has been a rainy summer, hasn't it. Clever comment about the animals walking in pairs. :lol: As I sit here, it is raining again. At least I don't have to water as much. But there was an article in the Akron Beacon Journal today about a fungus that is threatening to destroy Ohio's potato and tomato crop. It is due to the heavy moisture and cool evening temps. Can be treated with fungicide. Suppose I will need to check to see if I have the right one or need to run out to get it.
Glo
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Re: Crepe Myrtle - transplant shock or what?

Post by caliloo »

Thanks Glo! I will just keep my fingers crossed. I am on the border between 6/7 and this is a fairly sheltered spot so I hope it lives up to its zone 7 hardiness.

Deer pruning? You have GOT to be kidding! It is listed on the deer resistant list of plants I keep handy, which is why I chose it. If I have to start spraying it along with the daylilys and hostas I am going to scream! :evil:

Anyway, I will just watch it for the time being.

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
New Topic Post Reply