Protecting shrubs in the winter

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

Xela
USDA Zone: 5

Protecting shrubs in the winter

Post by Xela »

Howdy,
I have planted some shrubs, buddleia, weigela, viburnum, hydrangeas both macrophylla and paniculata. I live in southwestern Ontario and can't rely on a heavy snow cover every year. I'm concerned about rodent damage as well. In the past I used Skoot to protect my orchard when it was young. Has anyone used or know of a product that would be safe to use on all of my shrubs to protect them? What preparations do you suggest to protect shrubs from cold and critters?
Thanks for your advice!
Xela
Gardentoad

Re: Protecting shrubs in the winter

Post by Gardentoad »

I can't help you with a spray type product because I've never used one. I always put tree guards on my young trees to protect them from chewing rodents. I've used the plastic commercial ones and made my own from cans, metal gutter guard and drain pipes.

For cold protection and rabbits I make guards out of chickenwire that is about a foot wider than the tree or bush and the hight is the width of the roll of chickenwire if the tree is tall enough. I stuffed dry leaves in them for insulation. The leaves must be removed when it warms up in the spring so the leaves don't rot against the tree. I lift them up and shake the leaves out of the bottom and leave the guard to continue protecting the tree from rabbits.
I've read that mice can do damage, but it has never been a problem for me.
Never before have so few with so much promised to take away so much from so many and then laugh their asses off as the so many with so little vote for the so few with so much.

---James Pence
Xela

Post by Xela »

:D Thanks Gardentoad for the advice! I'm nervous about using dry leaves for warmth because our maples have Tar Spot. I rake up every single leaf every year trying to get rid of it...to no advail. We have other deciduous trees but they don't create enough leaves for all of my shrubs. Do you think straw would work? I fear it may encourage the mice.
Thanks again...I'll do my best to keep the shrubs protected.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Vigelia and viburnum are very hardeý here, so I do not know

When I was young/when we had real winters budleia and hydragenas freze down in the winter, just to be cut down in the spring. For protection of the root ball, we used, and still use for roses, the left ower branches from the old Christmas tree, just put them between the branches and they will make a roof for the plant in the cold nights with out snowcower
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply