Forsythia is blooming!!!

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

Hapygdnr

Forsythia is blooming!!!

Post by Hapygdnr »

I took advantage of the wonderful unseasonably warm weather today to get some things from the "list" done outside. And very much to my surprise, I spied buds beginning to pop on my (container grown) Forsythia Koreana Kumson!!! OMG!!! I got it about 3 yrs ago as a small twig with roots and have been babying it along. It hasn't bloomed before. I was thinking this coming spring would be the the first time. I got it mainly for the very cool leaves. Anyone have an idea how this might effect the plant?
Attachments
Taken this past Sept
Taken this past Sept
eastwood2007

Re: Forsythia is blooming!!!

Post by eastwood2007 »

That is a lovely plant!

I noticed yesterday coming by my forsythia, that it had one lone yellow blossom on it...of course, it had gotten frozen the night before...
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

I bought one of these this spring in a 2-gal pot. I couldn't pass up those leaves with the silver veins! Anyway, I walked past it 2 weeks ago and noticed it was blooming!! Cool! I looked online and it isn't described by any vendors as fall-blooming or re-blooming, but comments in several forums seemed to indicate that a light blooming period later in the year is somewhat typical. What a bonus for such a pretty shrub!

I didn't get it planted this year :roll: so I'll tuck the pot in leaves on the north side of the shed and plant it next spring.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
mrg
USDA Zone: 5B-6A

Post by mrg »

This plant is very easy to propagate from soft-wood cuttings taken during the early summer - if you are so interested. I grew several of these during an evaluation trial and found they don't bloom as abundantly as some of the other species of forsythia, but their leaves are the show. They benefit from a drastic cut back every few years, say right after the spring flush of flowers. And they do typically bloom again in the fall , especially after some early summer pruning.
New Topic Post Reply