Acer saccharum 'Monumental'

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

mrg
USDA Zone: 5B-6A

Acer saccharum 'Monumental'

Post by mrg »

I'm interested in what the fall foliage looks like on this tree - anyone have some first-hand knowledge of such? This species has a lot of variables from pale green to bright yellow to fiery orange and yellow.
Thanks

Oops! make that acer saccharum 'Monumentale' -- also know as Newton's Sentry So I read
Gardentoad
USDA Zone: 5

Re: Acer saccharum 'Monumental'

Post by Gardentoad »

It's on the right in this photo. This is one off my favorite trees. It is just green all summer, but it is still pretty then it goes to yellow and orange.

Never before have so few with so much promised to take away so much from so many and then laugh their asses off as the so many with so little vote for the so few with so much.

---James Pence
mrg

Post by mrg »

Gardentoad, Thanks for the reply and picture, but are you sure about the name of your plant? Yours looks to be a weeping acer palmatum dissectum and what I was inquiring about is a tall and very narrow sugar maple. Yours are some very attractive trees though.
Marshall
Gardentoad
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Gardentoad »

The tag I have for it reads Newton's Sentry. It is one that was just stuck in the soil in the pot at a nursery that had several varieties. It is a weeping variety so I'll pull that tag out of my file.
Sorry I couldn't help you but at least now I know my tree was labled wrong now.
Never before have so few with so much promised to take away so much from so many and then laugh their asses off as the so many with so little vote for the so few with so much.

---James Pence
mrg

Post by mrg »

Well isn't that something - wish I could help you with a name, but I'm not that familiar with the Japanese maples. Maybe one of the folks in the Japanese Garden Forum could as I think they are both somewhat of experts in that area.
Thanks for trying to help me though
Marshall
ademink

Post by ademink »

I know it has been two years...but this is a 'Viridis' :)
Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
ademink

Post by ademink »

mrg...I purchased 'Monumentale' and planted it in the Fall. I'll keep you posted (if this crazy faux Spring weather doesn't kill it!)!

My Hosta List
mrg

Post by mrg »

ademink, from whom did you acquire your Monumental? And I think I agree about Gardentoad's maple being Viridis - at least it appears to be the same as images I find on the 'net.

Yes, this is strange winter weather we're having here in southwestern Ohio anyways. Beats snow some say, but I sometimes wonder about that.
Marshall
ademink

Post by ademink »

I begged and pleaded for Gee Farms in Michigan to ship me one. It arrived bent like the letter "u" (insert :eek: lol)....but I gently bent it back up and staked it. I think I paid $60, including shipping. They informed me that Newton's Sentry is similar, but not the same. There is one other place that sells it...Lucille something or another...hmmm....can't remember anymore!

My Hosta List
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

I have planted two so far and both failed! Lucille had none ready to sell last year. Sure would like to find another source myself.

Viktoria
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
ademink

Post by ademink »

Why did they fail? Any idea? I thought they would be pretty tough, as maples usually are.

My Hosta List
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

Poor graft unions?

Viktoria
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
New Topic Post Reply