Sand Cherry?

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Sand Cherry?

Post by caliloo »

I pcked one up at Lowe's a couple of weeks ago and have it jsut sitting in a sheltered spot until I can get it in the ground.... I know nothing about them, I got it because it was $2.00 on the clearance rack and I can't resist the cheapies :lol: Anyway, does anyone grow them? What can I expect? What sort of conditions does it like?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
John

Re: Sand Cherry?

Post by John »

I grow one and love it. The burgundy leaves are a nice contrast to so many other plants. I match them to the colors of the ornamental grasses Imperata cylindrica rubra--- Japanese blood grass. There are clouds of tiny pink flowers in spring, very pretty. Just avoid planting the sand cherry anywhere near a salmon color azalea which blooms at the same time, as an unfortunate neighbor did! I think best coloring will be in nearly full sun. Mine is also paired with some yellow-green hostas, very pretty combo. It can be easily pruned to the size and shape you desire. Great buy!
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

I tried growing one for a few years -- I agree that the foliage color is gorgeous! Unfortunately the rabbits find it to be the tastiest thing in my yard. Every winter they would gnaw away at it, but it kept hanging on... until last June when it was completely trampled and ultimately dug up by a tree-cutting crew that was removing downed limbs from a nearby ash. sigh.

(if you're wondering, the snow in the yard can easily be 4 feet deep. It allows the rabbits to reach pretty high up, and a sand cherry is a small tree to begin with. :)
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

I agree with both posts, yet, it is very pretty in all seasons, the reddish limbs, the red leaves and the pretty blooms.

I had the same problems with rabbits. They would gnaw on any branches they could reach and when the snow was deep they could get to the smaller, tastier branches.

The only problem I had was that I wanted it to get pretty big (10 feet tall), it did, but I found out it is kind of weak. If you have ice storms and high winds the trunk can split. Mine has gone through some pretty funny looking stages when a bit section would break off. But it wasn't fussy, it kept right on growing. Probably wouldn't have been a problem if I kept it more bush-like.

You'll enjoy this one!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
caliloo

Post by caliloo »

Thanks so much!

We are still a couple of months away from digging, but I will begin planning where this little beauty will go. Oh and rabbits no longer seem to be a problem around my house, between the owls and the family of fox that live in the woods behind my house, the bunny population has been all but eliminated.

Thanks again!

Alexa
- Henry D. Thoreau
Gardentoad
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Gardentoad »

I have 2 in my east border. They have been there about 9 years and I don't trim at all.They are about 7-8 feet tall now. I have them planted on a mound. A redbud volunteer came up behind then to the east and has outgrown them. I planted it for the wildlife, the birds eat the cherries. They get full of tiny flowers in the spring but I cant find a spring picture.
They are the purple leaves.

Never before have so few with so much promised to take away so much from so many and then laugh their asses off as the so many with so little vote for the so few with so much.

---James Pence
caliloo

Post by caliloo »

Beautiful photo GT - thanks so much that gives me a great idea of what to expect.

Alexa
- Henry D. Thoreau
New Topic Post Reply