Quaking Aspen . . . ?

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Quaking Aspen . . . ?

Post by JaneG »

I was buying plants the other day and at the nursery they had Quaking Aspen that were 6-7 feet tall. I've seen the beautiful aspen in Colorado in the fall and thought WOW, wouldn't that be a great tree to have??

I got home and googled Quaking Aspen and was really disappointed to find out that it's in the Poplar family (which I suspected because of the fluttering leaves and light backs), but also that it has my two least favorite poplar features . . . sprouting from the roots and the cotton-y seeds in the spring. We already have a huge cottonwood just to the south of our lot line which covers the lawn in fluffy white every spring and clogs up the air conditioner and window screens! On the north lot line there is a row of the nasty old regular poplars which sprout up in my beds and I spend all summer plucking baby poplars.

Based on those two factors my decision at this point is that I don't want to get the Quaking Aspen, right? Does anyone have one and can tell me better news than what I found online??

If not Quaking Aspen, give me your recommendation . . . we have to replace a tree that is dying, what would you recommend for a non-messy deciduous tree? It will be at the edge of a bed so it can't have invasive roots. We already have Walnut, Buckeye, Locust, Bald Cypress, Tulip Poplar, Ash, Oak, Maples and some nasty regular old poplars. Obviously we are fortunate to have some large old trees, unfortunately some of theme aren't the most desirable.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.