Beauty Bush

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

gamekeeper

Beauty Bush

Post by gamekeeper »

Put in a Beauty Bush this spring and it is doing so well,even with the drought we are having I don't dare water much with a well.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Beauty Bush

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

I've tried these a couple times, but for me they've been short lived. I'm not sure what the problem was, if it was moisture issues or cold issues. Grew great all summer, a couple small root pieces did come back the following year but nothing from the old branches, then nothing the following winter. Hopefully you have much better luck!

Chris
Gardentoad
USDA Zone: 5

Re: Beauty Bush

Post by Gardentoad »

My understanding is that they need shelter from harsh winds in the winter. I have 3 bushes against the south side of a brick house and a 6 planted between other bushes along a short fence and in front of a hedge. The ones between other bushed are at least a third taller and much wider. The ones against the house look good but are half as tall, about 2 feet.
When I planted them I was told they needed the warmer area so I expected the ones by the house to do better.
I grew mine from seed and this is their 4th summer. The first 2 years they were all very small. If I didn't have a stick marking them I probably would have pulled them out.
We had a very wet, hot summer here.
Never before have so few with so much promised to take away so much from so many and then laugh their asses off as the so many with so little vote for the so few with so much.

---James Pence
New Topic Post Reply