Tree ID? Unknown

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

sweetee
USDA Zone: 5

Tree ID? Unknown

Post by sweetee »

Hi, I found this tree growing in a window box, which it had taken over. I never pulled it and a couple of years later, it's about 4 feet. I repotted it last year, but have no clue what it is. Any ideas? I thought it could be an oak, but looks a bit different than an oak I have. Thanks!
Attachments
treesm.jpg
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Re: Tree ID? Unknown

Post by Tigger »

Mulberry! Could be the native Morus rubra but more likely a hybrid with the Chinese M. alba. A pernicious weed tree for most gardeners. Yes, the birds love the fruit, but the droppings are terribly staining, and effectively scatter seeds creating even more weeds.

David
sweetee

Post by sweetee »

Figures I'd be growing yet another weed! I guess I'll be getting rid of this one. Thanks!
Aud
USDA Zone: zone 6

Post by Aud »

If you have not killed it yet. You could keep it if you have the gadren space. I have 4 acres so I kept the one growing on y property. It is a fruit tree and could add to your health and as said the birds love the fruit.

Here is some info..
Regular intake of mulberry in any form would add nutritional value to one’s body and enhance health. A ripened mulberry is dark purple to black, edible, and sweet with nice flavor.
http://lifestyle.iloveindia.com/lounge/ ... -2071.html
sweetee

Post by sweetee »

Duh, I do a lot of work with natural supplements, and didn't even remember that I could be growing the exact tree I need! I haven't thrown it out yet. I don't have land to grow it on, but love growing trees in containers. I just upgrade the container size every couple of years, feed them a lot, and water a heck of a lot in the summer. Guess, I'll keep this one for awhile. Have quite a large bird population, so they'll be happy. Thanks for the reminder, Aud!
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

We have them around here, too and what a mess they make. Our fruit is always FULL of worms....I'd definitely throw it out after setting it on fire first. But, if you really like it.... :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
New Topic Post Reply