Dogwoods now in Bloom

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Dogwoods now in Bloom

Post by oldcoot »

19 March 2012  - Dogwood.jpg
It must be an early Spring this year. We normally don't see Dog Woods bloom until about Easteer. OC's are in bloom now. :beer: :beer:
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
isadora
USDA Zone: 6B-7

Re: Dogwoods now in Bloom

Post by isadora »

Some years, Easter is in March, depending on the full moon. But yes, they do seem to be early, usually not blooming until the redbuds are nearly done. This year they are blooming together. Mine are in bloom too.

Sandy
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

WOW, you are jumping from winther to spring or maybe early summer

My dogwood still think it is winther :(
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
palmcoast
USDA Zone: 9

Post by palmcoast »

Have a question, bought several Dogwoods and Cleveland Select Callery Pear trees from Berry Family Nurseries. They were wrapped in burlap with plastic wrap. I took off the plastic wrap and on the burlap it said not to disturb or takeoff the burlap. Were i to leave the burlap on when planting the tree. ? I did take off the metal twine wrapped around the trunk. The trees are younge, maybe bout 5 ' high.
thanks,
paul v.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Personally I would remove the burlap after planting. Use it to hold the root ball together while maneuvering the plants into the planting hole, but then I always untie and remove the burlap, either cutting it out or sliding it from under the root ball.

Burlap used in B&B trees and shrubs is almost always treated to keep it from rotting and that means it takes forever to break down in the soil. While they say it will just rot away, too often it doesn't and I don't like to leave it in the ground and definitely don't leave it around the trunk. Untreated burlap breaks down extremely fast, but most nurseries don't use the untreated kind.
New Topic Post Reply