Dogwood not flowering or half flowering

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

jerryshenk
USDA Zone: 6a

Dogwood not flowering or half flowering

Post by jerryshenk »

We have a number of dogwood and their flowering this year was odd - a couple of the white ones didn't flower at all...I guess it's possible that I missed it but I really don't think so 'cuz others are flowering now. Then we have a single pink one and it's half flowered - nice, full flowers on half the tree. I thought it was dying but then it started to leaf out. Can I blame this on the weather confusing it?
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Re: Dogwood not flowering or half flowering

Post by kHT »

It is my understanding here that they need to be dry and full sun for here. I have a friend that was saying this past weekend her's isn't flowering at all this year and
she said hers is in like a low boggy area with shade. She enjoyed seeing ours in full bloom this past weekend.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
jerryshenk

Post by jerryshenk »

Well, last year was DEFINITELY a wet year. Broke the rainfall record around September I believe but the rain didn't stop tell December or Early January. It will probably be back next year.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

It could be dogwood blight. Dogwood blight can abort the first set of buds but if things dry out the tree can activate the dormant buds to form later instead. Frost damage can do the same, and maybe it only hit one side badly.
Schattenfreude
USDA Zone: 5b - 6a

Post by Schattenfreude »

Sprinkle epsom salts around the base of the tree (ca. 3 ft. or so from the trunk) before a good rain or disolve the salts in a 5 gal. bucket of water and then water the tree. I can't tell you the ratio of salts to water, but have read somewhere how beneficial espom salts can be for dogwoods. My pink dogwood looked much healthier and bloomed profusely the following spring.

Kevin in KC
jerryshenk

Post by jerryshenk »

Really? I thought salt would kill plants...maybe Epsom salts really isn't a salt...or at least some thing different.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Schattenfreude is right, we have been using it with golf course lime for years on the whole yard. What a difference. The planting beds really take a beating with all the
pine needles that drop and a little borax into the above mix really helps the back hosta bed. The front dogwoods really out did themselves this year due to my use of ES
in the fall. I just did the spring feeding, I use a large shakable bottle and sprinkle lightly. I have also gone to using this on my Brugmansia, what a difference.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Magnesium sulphate ... do not know how you spell it, but not a real salt :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply