Best way to kill scrub trees?

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

kaylyred
USDA Zone: 5a

Best way to kill scrub trees?

Post by kaylyred »

The previous owners/tenants of my home let a bunch of scrub trees grow up on the property. I've cut them down every spring and fall for 5 years, but...they're the most resilient things on the planet next to dandelions and cockroaches. (I'm not sure what they are. Possibly some type of aggressive elm?)

I've had it with trying to kill these things the natural way, and I'm ready to resort to whatever it takes. I do have pets, so I have to be cautious about toxicity to animals. Does anyone have suggestions for ridding my yard of these things once and for all? Some of them have grown so big that I can barely circle my hands around their trunks, so yanking them out isn't really an option unless I plan to rent a Bobcat. :???:
~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
viktoria

Re: Best way to kill scrub trees?

Post by viktoria »

I can tell you what I do to get rid of unwanted trees, but not here. PM me.

Viktoria
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Next time you cut them down fill a small jar with some concentrated Brush-B-Gon from Ortho (or Roundup Brush and Poison Ivy Killer) and using a brush (like a cheap sponge brush) brush that onto each cut. This will target the cuts without needing to spray all around and unless your pet licked it right as you brushed it on, there shouldn't be any harm. I like to use a small glass jar with a lid like a jelly jar so you can put the top on easily.

Good luck!

Chris
kaylyred
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by kaylyred »

Thanks, Chris! :D

Viktoria, you've got a PM.
~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
billfosburgh
USDA Zone: 5

Post by billfosburgh »

Chris_W wrote:Next time you cut them down fill a small jar with some concentrated Brush-B-Gon from Ortho (or Roundup Brush and Poison Ivy Killer) and using a brush (like a cheap sponge brush) brush that onto each cut. This will target the cuts without needing to spray all around and unless your pet licked it right as you brushed it on, there shouldn't be any harm. I like to use a small glass jar with a lid like a jelly jar so you can put the top on easily.

Good luck!

Chris
:beer: thats what i do. i use 41% glyphosate they wont come back.
CCH Mt. Views Art of Deception ( Sly )
CH Andreas Crybaby Emma ( 2009 CH female UKC World Show )
CH HBCH Gotta Go Freakin Deacon
LPCH LPRCH Big Country Mo JO
New Topic Post Reply