Nursery Question

This is the off topic area. Stop by to play a game, tell us about your day, or just stop and chat. Politics, current events, or any related topic will be moved or removed.

Moderator: Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply

When shopping at a nursery you see a mislabeled plants do you

Poll ended at Jun 06, 2009 10:33 am

1.) exnore it and don't say a word? Plus grab what you are there for or just leave?
29%
2.) grab the nearest worker and tell him there is an error?
50%
3.) later call them and ask for a manager to give them detailed information?
7%
4.) make a mental note they rely on their buyers and just leave?
14%

Total votes: 14

kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Nursery Question

Post by kHT »

After several trips to some of the surrounding nurseries this past week, I thought maybe this question should
be asked here to see what others would do? Let me add on shop the one worker we talked to didn't know what
we were talking about and only had been there a month, no clue at all??
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Re: Nursery Question

Post by Annie »

I would ignore it, get what I went for and leave.
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Ditto what Annie said. 8-)
govgirl75
USDA Zone: 5

Post by govgirl75 »

Me, too.
John

Post by John »

Employees at the kind of nursery I prefer to visit would be eager to discuss the allegedly mislabelled plant; this is unlikely to happen at a nursery with "clueless" employees.
jgh

Post by jgh »

I am likely to not grab the first worker, but to figure out who the highest rank worker is... a manager of some sort... and explain it to them. Even at the average shopping center parking lot hoop house, there is usually an overworked, undercompensated manager who has taken the $8 and hour job because they like plants and were hoping for a better discount than the piddling 15% they get and who is supplementing her/his income by dumpster-diving after unnatractive but still viable plants are tossed... (sound like the voice of experience??!!)

anyway, the manager or assistant manager or whatever usually actually wants to do right and they usually respond well when I point out a problem...
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

At a good nursery I would try to tactfully ask if the plant might be mislabled. If I can find others of the same variety with correct lable, I might point it out and ask which is correct. At a hardware store or dept store nursery I've found customers carelessly switch lables around, so I might put the lables right myself.
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
Midnight Reiter Too

Post by Midnight Reiter Too »

If there was a hosta label in a columbine, I'd pull it out and put it on the table if no one was watching me. Otherwise, I might say something to the employee that was in that greenhouse, BUT I'd only do this at the nursery where they know I'm a regular customer.
Give a Weed an Inch and it’ll Take a Yard
New Topic Post Reply