2 degrees, -17 windchill, and I'm outside loving it :)

This is the off topic area. Stop by to play a game, tell us about your day, or just stop and chat. Politics, current events, or any related topic will be moved or removed.

Moderator: Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

2 degrees, -17 windchill, and I'm outside loving it :)

Post by Chris_W »

Yes, I must be crazy, but I'm out in the woods today, cutting down some dead standing trees and hand splitting the wood after it is cut up out there. Soon I'll go collect it with the bobcat loader and bring it up to the house. I don't know why splitting wood out in the cold makes me feel so refreshed, or why I enjoy it so much. Sometimes I imagine that I'm out in the wild and having to fend for myself :roll: We burn enough wood through the winter that the furnace rarely comes on, so that is a reward I guess. Winter storm is coming tonight but we'll be really warm inside. :)

So yes, I'm outside in 2 degree weather with a -17 windchill and I'm loving it :lol:
Linda P

Re: degrees, -17 windchill, and I'm outside loving it :)

Post by Linda P »

Glad you are at last feeling well enough to enjoy cutting wood! This reminds me of my dad. He was out there in the worst of weather, cutting wood for the furnace. He cut wood all his life, starting as a young boy working with his dad. He used to talk about taking a skid out on the river to the big island, which entailed doing morning chores, hitching up the horses, getting out to the island, about 5 miles to the river's edge, and then a haul out across the ice, cutting wood out there all day, hauling it home, then having to unhitch the team, feed them put them away, and milk the cow. Next to that, driving out in his pickup and cutting a load of wood was nothing. Sometime in the 80's my brothers all went in on a wood splitter, and they shared it with Dad. Dad could outcut all of them until he was in his 80's.
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply