Gardeners' Hands!

This is the off topic area. Stop by to play a game, tell us about your day, or just stop and chat. Politics, current events, or any related topic will be moved or removed.

Moderator: Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Gardeners' Hands!

Post by kHT »

We have had a solid month of gardening already and the hands well, it's time to hide them. What do you
use on them and is there hope to seeing them clean and white again before winter? Or is it time to get
the black nail polish out and just garden? I stop shaking hands this time of year. :wink: Let's add feet to this
too. Flip flops are out already as we are to hit 70 degrees today.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Gardeners' Hands!

Post by Chris_W »

Brian uses a product called O'Keeffe's Working Hands and he seems to like it. I tend to get so bad I have to use antibiotic ointment :roll:

Although we are a few weeks away from working in the dirt, and that might even be wishful thinking, I know what you mean about not wanting to show your hands too much. At the store I will sometimes put my hand out to get change and cashier's tend to throw the coins towards my hand for fear of touching them. And that is after I've washed them :lol:
kHT

Post by kHT »

Thanks Chris for your reply, will have to check out the O'Keeffe's working hands to see if I can find it locally. I keep telling folks if you shake my hand, it will be like
picking up a cactus. :lol: This is the earliest we have had the yard cleaned up for spring. All we have left is the north rain barrels and wash down the pvc fence out
back up under the pine trees and the top where the squirrels run. Today we removed the tarps off both greenhouses.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
Diana
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Diana »

Bed Bath and Beyond has "Working Hands" by Okeeffe's. My little green jar sits next to my barcalounger, when I'm resting my sore back. Divided and potted up a bunch of things in hanging pots today...asparagus ferns and spider plants. I try to wear gloves, but sometimes they are too bulky and I need the "feel" on my fingers. Cannot touch micro-fiber towels in the laundry when my finger tips get so rough. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwww.

-Diana
Carol O
USDA Zone: 4

Post by Carol O »

I use 'Mean Green Scrub,' for initial cleaning. It has an antiseptic in it, but I got it in Canada, so I don't know if it's available in the States.
Then for lotion I use 'Udder Cream.' I saw that O'Keefe being advertised on TV and it looks like the wonder cure for cracks.
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

My hands used to be stained filthy all summer -- usually with some deep cracks in my index fingers that were permanently packed with dirt. I tried to wear garden gloves as much as possible, but always had to remove them for better dexterity. Then two years ago my niece gave me the ugliest bright pink nitrile gardening gloves..... and one day I finally gave in and tried them. :) OMG, what a difference! I now wear nitrile gloves to do almost everything in the garden and my hands look normal. lol! I love them so much that I bought a couple dozen pairs to give to every gardening friend and relative I have!

PS: haven't posted here in awhile, though I do check in occasionally. It's nice to see some action here again! No gardening here yet because we're under several feet of snow. :p With any hope, we'll actually go above freezing this week!!!!!!!!!! :beer:
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
kHT

Post by kHT »

Thank you three for your replies, need to add that I'm allergic to latex and fragrances really set my allergies off. So looking for stuff I
can use. :oops:
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

kHT, nitrile is made from a synthetic rubber and doesn't contain any latex. Have you tried them? I must admit that they work best when they're a good fit to your hands and fingers, and fit varies by glove.
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
kHT

Post by kHT »

p-m50, dear husband brought me a pair this morning so I'm headed out to try them!
Thanks for letting me know. :D
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Got those advises from a Spanish gardner years ago...
used coffee grounds, just rub your hands with it ... and for nice color a half lemon... can be some what used, just put your fingers into it. Not if there are cracks :eek:

For cream the one anonly ... Clarins Hands and nails... after a few secods it is not greasy ? and it do small miracles.
If your hands are very dry when you start to use it, it will 'demand' cream several times the first days.. very light scented
For cracks.. Elisabeth Arden 24 hours creame... think you know it... what ever it is it is a miracle... but greasy.. no added fragrance as far as i know

I sometimes start with gloves, but then i take them off for a break or so... and forget them somewhere in the garden :(
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
kHT

Post by kHT »

Pia, remember the cream you sent me a few years ago? I have been using it sparingly and last fall when I had my treatment for pre-cancer
I used it daily. It was great!! Thank you again. Day two of the gloves and they sure take time to get used to. I oil my hands at night and
put them in gloves to sleep.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Karma, we had so much fun :D :D :D
Do not rember the cream, but have seeds in the soil with a big smile going to you :-)
The Clarins cream is not cheap, i know, but I found it when I asked in the Copenhagen Airport Tax fee years ago... asked for a cream to handle ery dry skin and totally spoiled fingertips ... and they brought me the Clarins creame and told me it was what all the stewardesses uesd.... never found a cream just close to it. Normally I get it cheaper from relatives and friends who can pic it up in a tax free on return.

Do youuse almond oil
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
kHT

Post by kHT »

Morning Pia, the cream is call jeune for the face. But now I have to use sun screen 70 for the face every 90 minutes.
I have tried olive, almond, tea tree and coconut oils, have to use them sparingly so I don't break out.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

What a lot of action on this site -- suddenly, it's spring, at least in some places. Not in MN -- had snow yesterday, but needed it, since we are brown and dry and ugly all over the area. Good to have old friends popping in with suggestions! Phyllis
New Topic Post Reply