Sowed Hyacinth Bean seeds today

This is the off topic area. Stop by to play a game, tell us about your day, or just stop and chat. Politics, current events, or any related topic will be moved or removed.

Moderator: Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
GrannyNanny

Sowed Hyacinth Bean seeds today

Post by GrannyNanny »

My lights are on in the basement, but although medicinal pot has now been approved in Minnesota, I prefer to grow things for my garden and not for "the trade". I have 20 pots, with two seeds each, sowed with my own hand-collected hyacinth bean seeds -- some for me, some for my daughter, and the rest for the plant sale. I wanted four plants last year, and the local nursery had them -- FOR $8.00 PER SEEDLING, FOR GOODNESS SAKES! I bought two, biting my tongue to keep from complaining too loudly. It was early in the season, so I bought a packet of Lakeland hyacinth bean seeds and sowed them under 24/7 lights. They came up nicely, but when they got a bit bigger I realized that only one of all those plants was hyacinth bean -- it had the purply-green leaves, but all the others' leaves were just plain green, like any other bean. So, I nearly struck out last year, HB-wise -- therefore, I collected a lot of seeds and kept them over the winter, and now they are in their pots, ready to grow. Who'd have thought it'd be such a production just to get a few vines to twine around my deck steps???? Phyllis
GrannyNanny

Re: Sowed Hyacinth Bean seeds today

Post by GrannyNanny »

Seedlings are up and growing! Pictures when they get a bit bigger. Phyllis
New Topic Post Reply