I'm back!

This is the off topic area. Stop by to play a game, tell us about your day, or just stop and chat. Politics, current events, or any related topic will be moved or removed.

Moderator: Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Robin
USDA Zone: 7b

I'm back!

Post by Robin »

Hi everyone!!! I'm back. LOL

It's been an interesting ride, but after 10 years of traveling, life is going back what most would consider normal.
OMG does the garden need some love. Good news is no more virus in it.

Had one darn plant with the virus, and left the garden in the care of hubby. Not only did he not follow directions for watering, but decided to have the guy across the street mow down the weeds. Not only did he mow the weeds but all my Hosta!

The hosta that didn't die, because of not being watered correctly or from being mowed, ended up dying because the %^&* mower ended up spreading the virus. Knowing I would still be traveling, I didn't replace and have allowed the virus a few years to die off. Now with only about 10% of my hosta left, I'm back in the garden.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Re: I'm back!

Post by kHT »

:beer: Glad you have more time for us. Great to see you again.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Robin

Post by Robin »

Life is like a book, with so many chapters. While I wouldn't trade the last one for anything, I'm mentally getting ready for the next one.

The garden took a major hit, however rather than cry about it, I'm thinking I know a whole lot more now than I did when I originally set it up. So this is my chance to make it even look better than it did before.
Did a little work on it back in Feb. before winter nailed us, and have spent the past week doing a lot more prep work. Right now I have a very nice verity and healthiest weeds around. I've never had luck with roses, but I sure can grow vines with thorns.

I've also noticed the board isn't near as active as it was. Guess I wasn't the only one that took off for a while.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Welcome back Robin! I've thought about you quite a bit over the years and hopefully you can enjoy the gardens again.

Be cautious about replanting any hostas where you had HVX in them. While you were away it was discovered that HVX stays in the soil where a virus infected hosta used to be :( But didn't you have some tree root problems too? You might need to work some new beds away from those trees.

Good luck and welcome back home after all that traveling :)

Chris
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Welcome back, Robin. I agree with Chris: start over in a new spot somewhere. I don't think they know yet just how long that virus can be a problem in the soil. It's such a sneaky monster.
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Robin

Post by Robin »

No major problems with tree roots other than my shade is from a 60 year old black walnut tree. Which means I have very limited choice to what I can grow.
Unfortunately I don't have another place to put my garden. The disadvantage of living in the city, is lack of yard space.
$%^&* HVX!!! The good news is I still know where every plant was, maybe I can cheat by simply moving over into the free space I had allowed for growth. My hosta count was 202, now it's 17.
ladyblue
USDA Zone: 5B

Post by ladyblue »

Welcome back Robin! It's been a long time. :beer:
Bonnie
Robin

Post by Robin »

Cool another voice from the past. Was starting to think everyone I knew had left.
Miss how the board was so active before I left.
It's going to be a few long years of working to get my garden looking good again.
Thinking about putting in a few nice standards, and see what happens.
So is there going to be an annual get together this year?
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Welcome back Robin :-)

Why not start som hostas in (big) pots, keep them there for 2 or 3 years and then plant them in the garden, that way you ought to be sure they will stay free of HVX.

The Gettogether have been anual since ? and I'm sure there will be one in 2015 too :-) Mostly around the start of August

Good to see you :-)
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Robin

Post by Robin »

Not a bad idea! I still have several of my big pots, and sure I could find a deal on a few more.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Robin...I still wear that t-shirt you gave to Save the Elephants! Nice seeing you...
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

Hi Robin -- one more of us checking in. I'm still gardening in our new house -- actually, four years old now -- but can grow hostas only on the north and east side, since it's too sunny anywhere else. I have learned a lot about sun loving plants since I moved here, so I guess that's a new part of my horticultural education. Welcome back to the forum -- I, too, miss a lot of the old gang that used to be with us. Time marches on, I guess. Anyhow, it's good to see posts from you again. Phyllis
Robin

Post by Robin »

Wow another voice from the past.
Maybe we should start an 'Oldies but Goodies' thread. LOL
After all we've been around a lot longer than HVX, and would appear to have just as much staying power.
LucyGoose - Remember the shirt well, it was the Asian elephant shirt. Since then I did Africa and got to know a couple of their elephants.
Phyllis - About the time we think we've got these plants figured out, the rules change.
New Topic Post Reply