Idiots it Belly ot Beast19 Lost Episodes Joe Patti's Market

This is the off topic area. Stop by to play a game, tell us about your day, or just stop and chat. Politics, current events, or any related topic will be moved or removed.

Moderator: Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
jgh

Idiots it Belly ot Beast19 Lost Episodes Joe Patti's Market

Post by jgh »

Idiots in the Belly of the Beast 19 (The Lost Episodes) Joe Patti’s Fish Market

The first thing you notice pulling up to Joe Patti’s in Pensacola, Florida is the large, bustling parking lot. Private cars and commercial trucks from stores and restaurants juggle for spaces as a continuous parade of coolers are carried from the market and loaded. The second thing is the fishing boats pulled up to the pier, delivering the freshest seafood possible. Inside, it’s clear that this family-owned business is in its third generation and the owners and workers take a lot of pride in their products and service. The place is spotlessly clean and the workers are the best combination of friendly and efficient. There is even one person in charge of handing out and calling numbers to keep the counters full without too much crowding.

An intriguing sign… the Idiots tried to imagine bringing fish back two days after purchasing it…

The air had the distinct tang of ocean breezes, but no fishy smells assailed the nostrils. A stroll down the display cases revealed an extraordinary array of the bounty of the sea. Familiar offerings shared space with exotic and occasionally bewildering items. Just a few examples…

FRESH WHALE (sic) SOFT SHELL CRAB $5.29 EACH

IKURA: SALMON ROE $32.99 LB
MASAGO: SMELT ROE $8.99
TOBIKO: FLYING FISH ROE
RED/GREEN $34.99
ORANGE 16.99

SMOKE (sic) SALMON $12.99

SWORDFISH LOIN
WILL CUT TO ORDER
SPECIAL SALE $9.49

MAHI MAHI FILLET $14.99

HALIBUT FILLET $11.99

A window into the working area behind the counter provided literal and figurative insight into the business of providing fresh seafood to numerous businesses and individuals residing along the Panhandle of Florida. The Idiots aren’t sure what was being dismantled – but when they returned 30 minutes later there was still a lot of whatever it was left to be cut up.

Buy it whole… or for $.20 a pound, they’ll customize it for you. Don’t forget to ask for the backbones!

Who wouldn’t be thrilled to find 5 pounds of select oysters under the Christmas tree?

This bruiser would easily feed a family of four… had to be 5 pounds… but also totally cool just to look at.

Don’t want the hassle of kill-it-yourself lobster? (They can make a noise when being boiled that sounds like screaming…) The Idiots saw a man and his elderly mother polish off three of these guys sitting at one of a few booths that surround a sushi counter.

More variety… Egyptian crawfish, squid, frogs legs, baby octopus, backbone, rib bones, calamari, smelt… and who could ever pass up a special like this…

SPECIAL! SPECIAL! CHEEKS/THROATS GROUPER/SNAPPER/TRIGGER

Only $4.99 a pound!

The Idiots were confused. Joe Patti’s was listed on Tripadvisor among the top restaurants in Pensacola – but there was no restaurant! What there was? A very good sushi chef making the most of the abundant fresh ingredients and providing amazing stuff on plastic plates for folks willing to place their cultured derrieres at formica booths to savor the sushi and sashimi and fried dumplings and shu mai…

The Idiots were over-served at the sushi counter, so there was no way they could consider hitting the deli section for dessert or ice cream. Then they emerged from the store only to be confronted with a special food truck – and all restraint and common sense escaped them.

Hmmm… let’s see… a half dozen beignets, hot from the oil… share one, then enjoy the rest down the road…

Naw… sit at the outdoor table next to the fishing boat… eat all six… complain that their bellies could not make space to try any of the other varieties…

And you think you’ve had a rough day!

GrannyNanny

Re: Idiots it Belly ot Beast19 Lost Episodes Joe Patti's Mar

Post by GrannyNanny »

What a wonderful adventure! I ate my dinner awhile ago, and I'm salivating now for all that fresh seafood! I certainly do get a lot of experience, vicariously, from your trips. Unfortunately and unavoidably, this was a "barmicide feast". When are you two coming home for awhile anyhow??? Phyllis
Robin
USDA Zone: 7b

Post by Robin »

Great story!
Just did a very mini version, took grandson to Biloxi, MS. Filled him up on seafood, poorboys and beignets. Just before leaving went out to one of the local shrimp boats and bought the freshest (and cheapest) shrimp I've ever bought.
Next stop was Walmart for an ice chest and ice, to keep our little critters cold on the 7 hour drive home.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Those fishs and seea food looks delicious. Very delicious :D
Sushi is not me at all...
those cold pressed together rice with a tiny bit of something delicious and then dipped in soya and ginger... :roll: But part of my family love it :-?
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

I am so excited! I have been gone for a long time and when I come back to the forum, there are new Idiots stories :beer: So glad to see you are still traveling Jim!
Did I mention I grow my Hosta in pots?
New Topic Post Reply