Same Song, 6th Verse

This is the off topic area. Stop by to play a game, tell us about your day, or just stop and chat. Politics, current events, or any related topic will be moved or removed.

Moderator: Chris_W

GrannyNanny

Same Song, 6th Verse

Post by GrannyNanny »

Hi Garden (and Seedy) friends --'Way back in 2007, you went with me through a breast cancer diagnosis and subsequent treatment. That was a recurrence from 20 years previously, when I'd had a partial mastectomy for breast cancer. Well, there's been a lot of water gone under the bridge and over the dam, and I've been in chemo treatments four times since; the short story is that it's back again, and I'm once more in chemotherapy, having had my first treatment this past Thursday. It keeps showing up in different places -- the last four times it's been in my liver (still breast cancer, however) and we've successfully treated it four times. This time my liver looked clear on the scan, but it's in my bone marrow! This sounds even more awful than in the liver, but I'm told by competent medical authorities that it is less difficult to treat there than it is when it's in the liver, so I'm hopeful we can kick it once again. I'm on a different drug than I've had before, making me unsure how this one will affect me, but so far I have no untoward side effects from this one two days ago. Unfortunately, this is a taxol-containing drug, which means it's one of those that affects all your fast-growing cells and not just the cancerous ones -- hair, nails, taste buds, etc. The good news is that it can be treated; the bad news is that I have to go through another treatment schedule -- three Thursdays in a row, then a Thursday off. and then two more of those cycles before another scan to see what's happening in there. Then maybe some additional treatments, and maybe not, depending on what's on the scan.
Thanks for sticking with me, yet again -- I thought I'd better let you know, so that those of you who are of a praying persuasion can put me on your list. I'll take all the healing thoughts and prayers I can get. Blessings on you all, Phyllis
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Re: Same Song, 6th Verse

Post by kHT »

GN, my heart just sank reading this. You know you are always in my prayers. Hang in there and let's do those baby steps.
Please keep us posted on the progress. Sending gentle hugs your way.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Diana
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Diana »

Oh, (expletive), Phyllis!!! There is a hide and seek contest going on in your bod isn't there? I remember you saying that your stage IV situation is one of living with a disease and treating flare ups, and you have been very strong. I admire your strength and passion for life. As long as the good days each year outweigh the bad days... you are ahead. Here we go again. So many different drugs these days, and they are constantly finding new ones. Do you have to travel far for treatments? Is the cancer throughout all your bone marrow, or in one leg or arm? I don't know how that works. How do they know it is the same breast cancer rather than a different flavor? I still go to see my Onc Doc every 6 mos with a little trepidation, but I think of you, especially on those days and how positively you have been able to cope with all these recurrences. Thank you!

-Diana
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

All my best to you through this recent round Phyllis. I'm glad you have stayed on top of it so well and glad you seem to have an excellent doctor to work with. Take care :)

Chris
rosemarie

Post by rosemarie »

You are still in all our prayers. GN! Keep on keepin' on.
Lovin' the great northwest!
char
USDA Zone: 5

Post by char »

Only the best for you, you deserve it.
jgh

Post by jgh »

my dear friend...

if there is anything we can do, we are unemployed and not far away...
ladyblue
USDA Zone: 5B

Post by ladyblue »

Prayers and best wishes for you while you fight this war again I am so sorry that you have to deal with this once more.
Diana

Post by Diana »

Phyllis-
Is this a bad one? We are here, hoping to hear from you. Please post whatever it is.

-Diana
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I haven't checked in here in a while, Phyllis, and I was dismayed to read your post. Your seedy friends are still out here, holding you close. If your doctors say that it's easier to treat there, I'd take their word for it. I guess you break out the scarves again, and stock your kitchen with the things that will appeal to what taste buds the chemo leaves you. Thinking of you!!!!!

Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

Hi again -- thanks so much for all the kind wishes and prayers. To answer one of the questions, the cancer is in various parts of my body, but mostly in one thigh, one upper arm and various spots around my pelvis and backbone. Sounds horrendous, I know, but the funny-odd thing is that I've had three treatments and am still feeling fine, still sporting all the hair that I've had since the last bout, and can taste things! I am giving thanks for every day that the side effects hold off. Now I have two weeks without chemo before going back to another series of three every Thursday. Then another two weeks off, and another three and then they do a scan. I'm really doing very well, and appreciate all your kindnesses. Love to you all, Phyllis
Diana

Post by Diana »

Yes it sounds horrendous, so many different spots, but I am so very happy that you said the side effects so far have not made your life miserable. Three treatments and you still have your hair, and food tastes good. How great is that??? Curious...now that you know which bones are affected, do those limbs, parts, actually feel any different? Or is it like the breast cancer, where you wouldn't know you have it unless it shows up on a scan, or gets big enough to feel as a hard bump? Please keep posting...
-Diana
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

GN, sending more prayers your way. Keep putting up that good battle and we are all here for you. It is just surprising what they can
do not for those that have cancer. A lot has been learned by folks like you that have fought the battle for others that need your help.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Well, SHOOT!! This so sucks!! Hang in there!! Your a fighter, we know it!! I hope you don't get side effects, later!! Love you!! Sorry I am not here much....and Thanks to my buddy Karma for the heads up!! XOXO
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Not fun at all, but you knew it would come and you can fight it

So after these not so fun months, there will be years with out chemo...

HUGS
Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

So sorry to hear this news Phyllis, hang tough, we're with you.
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Dag nab it! So sorry to hear you are still fighting this evil! Thinking of you always Phyllis!
Did I mention I grow my Hosta in pots?
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

How are you doing Phyllis! thinking of you!
Diana

Post by Diana »

Phyllis- What is happening now? No posts have me very worried. Please update?
Diana
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I agree.....
New Topic Post Reply