In praise of a grand lady - GrannyNanny has passed on...

This is the off topic area. Stop by to play a game, tell us about your day, or just stop and chat. Politics, current events, or any related topic will be moved or removed.

Moderator: Chris_W

jgh

In praise of a grand lady - GrannyNanny has passed on...

Post by jgh »

Our dear friend Phyllis - GrannyNanny - died early this morning. Her passing was gentle.

Phyllis developed cancer 8 years ago. She was a role model for dealing with illness. Among all the Hallson's folks, we were the ones lucky enough to live close enough to meet Phyllis in person. She was wonderful... so smart, so caring, so sharing... so enthusiastic for life. I developed a philosophy based a lot on her positive attitude and persistence. I call it the "3D Approach." Not in Denial, not in Delusion, but definitely Defiant.

Phyllis never denied the seriousness and potentially fatal nature of her cancer. She wasn't deluded by hopes that it would all go away and she'd be OK. But oh, how defiant she was. She had six rounds of treatment. The first five pushed the cancer into remission and she often regained much of her health and mobility. This sixth round just took too much out of her. She became weaker and weaker and couldn't eat and drink enough to sustain her.

Her obituary will be posted in the Minneapolis and the St. Paul papers - I'll add links when it is available. A memorial service will be at 10:00 AM Thursday, Otc 22nd at the Calvary Baptist Church at 2608 Blaisdell in Minneapolis.

I don't want to post an address here... computer bots harvest addresses and emails... I think there will be a virtual guestbook available at some point and I'll add that information when I have it.

A little light has just gone out of my life forever.
lessa's dh
Location: usually next to lessa! Latitude = 42.7304, Longitude = -80.9952, Altitude = 233m or 764.4ft

Re: In praise of a grand lady - GrannyNanny has passed on...

Post by lessa's dh »

Garden on Granny - garden on and prepare a place for us one day!
Compostaphile and Compostaphobe -- To rot or not to rot . . .

ps. I don't have a hosta list - lessa took them all!!

Latitude - Longitude:
42.727844,-80.87182
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Thanks for the information, Jim. Blessings on Phyllis's family...

David
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Thank you Jim for the update. GN gave cancer a good fight, I'm sure the good Lord will put her in charge of the gardens
above. We all have an angel watching over us now. GN will be missed here. Condolences to her family.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Awwww, crying here....I just loved her posts and she was surly an inspiration... :bawl: .....Jim, thanks so much for the post, and Karma, thank-you so much for pm'ing me.....It's amazing how long we all have been on Hallson's and the oldies are still in touch somewhat...I will call OED and tell him on the way to the dog club tonight...I'll call Patruska too...Wow, seems impossible that she is gone.... :bawl: ...hope she finds the Old Coot! and Janet..... ♥♥♥
char
USDA Zone: 5

Post by char »

I always enjoyed her messages. What a strong individual.
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

Thanks Jim for letting us know. Such a kind, courageous, sharing woman! She will be greatly missed. God bless her and her family.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Jim, thanks for letting us know. I haven't been here awhile as my hosta days have been few and far between. So sorry to hear about Phyllis - she was a wonderful lady and a friend to so many here. Bless you, Phyllis! Prayers for her loved ones at this difficult time.
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

My thoughts reach out to her family in this difficult time.
I was sure she would manage it one more time, but then..... and even we do not think about it, we are all grown older.
So sad

Thanks Jim... and please, if you talk to someone in her family, bring my condolences.
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Since hearing the news it has been hard for me to get on here. When we started the forums I had no idea so many lives would touch us so deeply, and each time we lose someone it is as if we lost a loved one. Phyllis' fight was a courageous one, and a perfect model of how to deal with cancer to live a longer life in the face of it. She did everything right and I hope her fight might help others in the future.

Thank you for the wonderful post, Jim. I'll be thinking of all of you today and the days to come.

Take care,

Chris
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Chris_W wrote:Since hearing the news it has been hard for me to get on here. When we started the forums I had no idea so many lives would touch us so deeply, and each time we lose someone it is as if we lost a loved one.
So true, Chris!!!

I would like to have the funeral home link please when someone finds out....thanks....

I did call and talk to OED, and even PeggyB....Didn't get a hold of Pat yet....I should try now....
jgh

Post by jgh »

Here's the link to the obituary in today's Mpls paper

http://www.startribune.com/obituaries/d ... lis-a-kedl

they have a guest book, so if you'd like to leave a note for her husband, Doug and her family... I'm sure they'll see it there... I'll also remind Doug to check back here when he's ready...
jgh

Post by jgh »

and St. Paul...
looks like they are keeping it simple...

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/twinci ... =176142790

guest book here, also. Doesn't sound like there will be a "wake" or funeral home... just the church ceremony, I think...
Diana
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Diana »

What sad news, Jim. Phyllis was an inspiration to me and others who have been confronted with cancer. Her posts while undergoing treatments, describing the drugs and how they worked and her reactions provided an insight into cancer treatment. Before I knew Phyllis, if I heard "stage 4 cancer", I thought a person has just months to live, and it was time to put your life in order. Phyllis heard "stage 4 cancer" and went charging forward and LIVED life for 8 more years, even building a new home. The woman was amazing. I will miss her.

My sincerest condolences to her family.

-Diana
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I hate to say it, but wow...such a pitiful obit for a lady that did a lot of traveling and adored her kids/grandkids.....I am going to send flowers to the church from her "seedy friends" ...I just have to.....maybe I can get a hold of someone at the church...

:( :( :(
kHT

Post by kHT »

Oh Goose, just maybe this was GN's wishes? Have you priced the cost of putting the obits in the local
newspapers. Most aren't free anymore and when I looked into putting my dad's in the paper a couple
years ago it was seven hundred dollars. To do it for free it was just his name and the funeral place.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Maybe Karma.....but $700? for an obit is not the normal....

I just talked the the church, this was her church.....Very nice man....I am calling next to send flowers from all us at Hallson's/her seedy friends.....I left my number in case family wanted to call, as the man thought they might....I told him to tell them all us here at Hallson's sends our condolences!! ♥♥♥
kHT

Post by kHT »

Goose, you are so awesome!! Thank you for doing this, pm sent.

I thought it was steep too! The newspaper where Dad was raised did a beautiful story on him for free!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Not that awesome Missy Karma.....I had to......It's so sad how we all have been such a family and when one leaves (goes to heaven), and we never meet in person, but they mean so much to us...I had to have flowers there for her from us.....I loved her.....I think of who we have lost...and how FB took over and how we all still keep in touch here on ond off....crying a bit again, so going back to bathing one more dog....LOL....

I talked to Chris today......I need to keep in touch more.....Love you all....♥
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Thank you Kathleen :D :D :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply