Idiots without Borders - A "Lost Episode: #11 Canyon de Ch

This is the off topic area. Stop by to play a game, tell us about your day, or just stop and chat. Politics, current events, or any related topic will be moved or removed.

Moderator: Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
jgh

Idiots without Borders - A "Lost Episode: #11 Canyon de Ch

Post by jgh »

Idiots with Borders Episode 11 Canyon de Chelly
A "Lost Episode"

Idiots without Borders – The Lost Episodes

Editors’ Note: This is an OLD episode. Idiots without Borders tells the tale of the Idiot travels from their summer home in Minnesota to their “new” winter home in Arizona in the fall of 2015 and their return to Minnesota in the spring of 2016. On the return trip the Idiots took pictures and had good intentions to share these episodes with friends – but life got busy. So… before the Idiots launch their next set of adventures, they are sharing a few “lost episodes.” This visit to Canyon de Chelly took place on May 3, 2016.
-----------------------
There is a fairly straightforward sensible route for the Idiots to make their way from Green Valley, Arizona to Plymouth, Minnesota. They would visit their family in Silver City, New Mexico, then cross New Mexico, angle up through a little of Texas and Oklahoma, diagonal across Kansas, then straight north up Interstate 35 to Minnesota.

The trip started out that way – a nice visit with their New Mexico family – but it will not come as any surprise to long-time readers that the Idiots once again strayed. Leaving Silver City, they went Northwest, crossing back into Arizona. Early settlers found Northeast Arizona so remote and challenging that the government was willing to “give” a large parcel of it to the Navajo Indian tribe. It is remote… and challenging… and ethereally beautiful country.

Once again the wandering Idiot compass needle pointed the way to Canyon de Chelly. The beauty of Canyon de Chelly (say “canyon duh shay” and you’ll be pretty close) is obvious to all, but the nature of this complex canyon system varies depending on your point of view. To the government, it is a National Monument. To the Navajo, it is a place that has been a home and refuge for centuries – and the site of a famous massacre of Natives by US Cavalry lead by Kit Carson. To pueblo peoples, it is an ancient homeland of their ancestors – those Natives formerly known as the Anazazi and currently called the Ancient Puebloans – who built the great structures of Chaco Canyon and Mesa Verde and constructed stone homes throughout the region who were supplanted by the Navajo “newcomers.”

A compromise was reached years ago. The Navajo still live in the canyons. Tourists can peek into the canyons from the rims… and can enter the canyon on one trail (Whitehouse Ruin) without a Navajo guide. To actually tour the canyon floors, a tourist must engage either a group or individual tour with a Navajo guide. The Idiots did the canyon valley floor tour many years ago and they’ve hiked to Whitehouse ruin. These days they enjoy the views from the rims.

So… a few photos that give a sense of the splendors of Canyon de Chelly. These are all from a relatively short section of the south rim. The last trip the Idiots did the north rim – the Canyon del Muertos (Canyon of Death) drive. The pictures explain better than words can why the Idiots keep returning to this magical place…

Ancient sand dunes, buried and compressed into sandstone, erode into rounded shapes and form natural caves that became protected sites for Ancient Puebloan homes and granaries.

Today, Navajo hogans and corrals dot the bottom of the canyons, connected by sandy roads.

The Idiots move slower these days… and don’t cover as much ground as they used to. There’s a silver lining – slowing down encourages one to look more closely. There’s beauty in the details. Miniature landscapes greet the observant eye…

Reverence… or graffiti? Modern paint, ancient symbols… one can only hope they were placed here with respect.

For at least a thousand years – probably much much longer – humans have made their homes in these canyons. It isn’t hard to imagine oneself awaking a millennia past in one of these golden dwellings and watching the sun rise to paint the walls in rainbow colors, with bean and squash fields sharing the canyon floor with deer and antelope.

We tend to think of these ancients as primitive compared with more “civilized” European cultures. Evidence suggests quite the contrary. Excavations show that the Ancient Puebloans had more protein and more variety in their diet than most Europeans did in the same era. Their lifespans, stature, and general health were at least as good, and perhaps better, than those living in England or France or Germany.

The play of light on stone creates ever-changing beauty. (A close look shows the remains of human construction as well…)

Winter moisture brings green to the canyons. The river runs and snow melt recharges springs and creates seeps on the rock faces.

When they were children, the Idiots spent many hours finding fanciful scenes and creatures in the clouds. To be honest – they still do! The eroded features of Canyon de Chelly present new opportunities for imagination. For example - what a delight to find our old friend Falkor (from the 1984 film The Neverending Story) standing guard over the canyon. Their lives certainly reflect Falkor’s advice to Atreyu…

“Never give up and good luck will find you.”

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Idiots without Borders - A "Lost Episode: #11 Canyon d

Post by Chris_W »

Beautiful! I love the miniatures, and that last picture is pretty cool :)
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Lovely. I'm glad that The Idiots are slowing down to capture the small landscapes hidden in the vast expanses of natural beauty.

I have long thought the same thing about the lifestyle of the native Americans, before they were introduced to the bad habits of our European ancestors. A hard life, to be sure, climbing those walls to their homes after a day spent cultivating their crops, or foraging, or tending their animals. They had to be in good physical condition to manage that.

Once again, thank you for sharing your experiences.

Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
jgh

Post by jgh »

I remember our first visit to Mesa Verde... and Sheila saying "well... I wouldn't have lived past childhood!"

Her eyesight as a child was so bad that she couldn't get herself out of bed without reaching for her thick glasses. She assumes she would have just walked off a cliff one day and that would have been that.

Since her eye surgeries and followup cataract surgeries, she now only needs glasses to read. Quite the change... and one case in which now is so much better than then.

Research into the hunter-gatherer-simple agriculture Natives of the Southwest indiciates that when the weather was good, they worked far fewer hours than we do now... and had long "down times" during poor weather. Some of the intricate rock art sure indicates folks with time (and paint!) on their hands...
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Darn, you have done it again.
just the other day i was looking at travel agencies pages and was thinking: I do not want to travel a lot anymore. Going to Budapest start October is fine, I know Budapest and know how to relax.... and then you show me those pics of things I can not see in Europe !

You are correct about the food, but it is not that simple :wink:
Today we can test the bone remains from human graves more than a thousand years back and they have changed a lot in Europe.
I can not talk for all of Europe since at that time both good and bad started in the south.
So let me tell you about the Vikings... please forget what you think you know :wink:
They were tall, very tall for the time being (700- 1050) after Christ. They were very clean and had the most marvelous clothes known to the western world, No! they did not rape, fight or rob in general. They were traders and good at it.
There are evidence of one case of rape..and he was VOTED to be killed, there is some evidence of robbing churches and monasties while trading with the people in the areas and there are fights about land.

It all ended with Christianity (misunderstood) and the fight between the kings and the churches ... with the people paying the price in the Feudal System... becoming small, bend down, pale and their logs were shaped like a wheel.
Fact the rich thought there were two kind of people.. the tall upright (rich) and the working sort of animal people :evil:
All due to the differences of food .... All the poor people got for centuries was pudding made on water and maybe a bit of green and fruit they could pick in the hidden. No milk, no eggs, no meat.... and no vitamin pills :lol:
So the Danish general population dropped dramatic in height.. 10 plus inches

If you do not belive me... just find some Irish people and ask them about starving.
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply