Idiots Walk in Beauty E10 Beauty in What Will Be

This is the off topic area. Stop by to play a game, tell us about your day, or just stop and chat. Politics, current events, or any related topic will be moved or removed.

Moderator: Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
jgh

Idiots Walk in Beauty E10 Beauty in What Will Be

Post by jgh »

Idiots Walk in Beauty Ep 10 The Beauty of Promise…

(Another tardy episode from October, 2017)

Usually when we think of seeking beauty, it’s beauty we can see, hear, touch, smell, taste - the beauty of “now”. As we age… if we are lucky… we get better at finding beauty in memories – the beauty of “what was.”

But now and then we are gifted with premonitions of the beauty that will be. As teachers we sometimes get a glimpse of future greatness in our students… sleeping talents, emerging skills, great spirits. A workman selects a piece of rough-sawn lumber and sees a lustrous mantelpiece waiting to emerge. An artist faces a blank canvass. An Idiot faces a blank computer screen. All are seeking beauty in the promise of what is to come.

One might not think of October as a good time for seeking flowers – but the Colorado Plateau is a place of extremes. The weather can transform rapidly from desert-dry to blizzard-wet. Temperatures can scorch and freeze – sometimes within a period of hours. The plants and animals and people who survive there adapt to the sometimes harsh and ever-changing demands of their environment. Plants flower when they can and produce lots of seeds because few of them will survive the challenges to replace their progenitors.

And so… the Idiots took an occasional break from the magnificent landscapes and looked down at their feet… and captured a little of the beauty in the promise of things to come.

Haricotsv2
USDA Zone: 4

Re: Idiots Walk in Beauty E10 Beauty in What Will Be

Post by Haricotsv2 »

Lovely!
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Nice shots. Any idea what #s 17 and 18 (after Helianthus annus) are? Were you in Area 51?

David
jgh

Post by jgh »

Hi, David

I had to look it up. These are the fall colors of the Desert Trumpet plant - trumpet? really? - Eriogonum inflatum. Quite odd... and difficult to find a way to photograph them as I was scrambling through mud at pretty high altitude and found them in sheltered washes...
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Very neat pictures!
jgh

Post by jgh »

thanks, Lucy. I know that our friends on Hallsons are used to much better flower and plant pictures, but many of my readers are not gardeners so I wanted to capture a sense of what we gardeners see in the Fall. There's a lot of beauty and hope in seed pods!
New Topic Post Reply