Back Again!

This is the off topic area. Stop by to play a game, tell us about your day, or just stop and chat. Politics, current events, or any related topic will be moved or removed.

Moderator: Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Robin
USDA Zone: 7b

Back Again!

Post by Robin »

Well it’s been an interesting decade!
Short version of long story.
Had a great Hosta garden.
Hubby was babysitting garden.
Hubby killed my garden.
Hubby became ill, and I just wasn’t up to gardening.
Hubby passed Oct. 2017
Last summer was still adjusting.
This morning, with grandson’s assistance, breaking ground again!

Renting a tiller, prepping the soil and mulching today!
My garden did have 200 varieties, today I have 3 plants.
It sucks! However I think back to the days when I first discovered hostas, I only had 4. I did it before, and can do it again. Especially with the grandson willing to do the heavy lifting.

I took a peek at the farewell section, wow I remember some of those wonderful folks.
jgh

Re: Back Again!

Post by jgh »

Hi, Robin!
Welcome back!

Sorry about your husband... the sad reality of being our ages is that we typically have to say more goodbyes than hellos.. I lost my brother last summer, so my younger sister and I are all that is left of our family of six. There has been so much wonder in our lives - but also so much sadness...

My gardening has also been limited by circumstances... we have had to hire a gardener to help and not sure how long we will keep that up. We live in Arizona during the winter... and everyone says we are crazy to keep a house and gardens in Minnesota. But then... every summer... I sit out on our deck and look out at the hosta gardens... and I think "well... one more year..."

It has been pretty quiet on The Garden Bench - it seems like a lot of people have migrated from these forums to Facebook. Look around - you might find some of our old friends there as well...
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Welcome back Robin and so sorry to hear about your loss of DH and you hosta garden. Just take baby steps
and soon it will come back. Glad you have a helper and with your guidance, you just might help him catch the
hosta bug!!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Robin

Post by Robin »

Yup a lot more byes than hellos! I like FB, but it just isn’t the same.
Love how all of us chatted, swapped eyes, and even came together once a year.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi Robin!!! I have thought about you many times!!

I know, I DO miss our old forum chats and such...but I have to admit, I love FB for my doggie stuff....and it's like you have to have it for the groups I'm in for training or whatever....But yes, nothing will replace the mories here....I mis us all!!

My gardens are terrible....Jay could care less...he retired last fall and we want to move....been saying that one forever... :lol:

So sorry about your husband!!

If your on FB, look me up...Kathleen Gulley Thornton Coe .....Yep ALL my names!! :lol:
Robin

Post by Robin »

Hi gal! Just sent you a FB request. BTW it looks like we might have an ‘OMG it’s a small world’ moment. We have a shared FB friend. I don’t know him personally, but tracked him down a while back while looking for family members of Charles Lorin and Jennie Pearl Coe. Lorin and Pearl were very close friends of our family.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Gotcha ya on FB now...

Hey, I don't really know that guy... :lol: He asked to be my friend and it's on the DH's side.... :lol:
New Topic Post Reply