Watering around noon

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

FreakyCola
USDA Zone: 5

Watering around noon

Post by FreakyCola »

For those of you who don't know, I got a job working in a Walmart garden center. We don't have enough help so the plants don't get watered regularly. I've been doing it when I come in and there are two women employees who get real upset and say it hurts the plants to water them from around 10 am till 4.

I remember reading that water mostly evaporates at that time when you're using a sprinkler, but I'm using a hose and watering each pot separately. I must be an awful gardner (not!) but I can't remember hearing anything about watering at that time hurting the plants.

Lately I've had a bunch of customers come up & tell me I shouldn't be watering at that time of day. I just tell them it's a choice between me watering now, or they don't get watered at all.

So do you guys know what the problem is?
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I think I read where early morning watering is the preferred time, but I agree with you.......watering during the day is better than no watering at all. I would think that by watering each pot individually that you're giving it to the roots, so much of the water is getting absorbed. I would guess that your Walmart might be the only one around that won't have dead looking plants on the shelves in a another month. :lol:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

The only thing I have heard about watering during those times is NO overhead watering because the drops act like a magnifying glass in the sun. Watering with the hose directly into the pots won't hurt them a bit, and if the pots are in the sun, the soil is heating up big time. The water will help keep the roots from boiling :eek:

Ginger
FreakyCola
USDA Zone: 5

Post by FreakyCola »

Thank you both for the answers. I think Ginger you must have hit it when you said it acts like a magnifying glass. I remember reading that's why frost hurts plants coz it acts like a magnifying glass. I wouldn't think the water would stay on a leaf long enough in the heat to do that though.

I thought you're supposed to water in the early morning so the water doesn't evaporate before it hits the plants and to avoid watering at night coz molds and bad stuff will develop in the dark.

But my motto is do it when I got the time!
Midnight Reiter Too

Post by Midnight Reiter Too »

I've noticed that people who have underground sprinkler systems have nicer lawns. Their systems are set to come on about 6:00 AM. We can't afford one. I have to go outdoors and move the sprinkler all day long. It takes hours to water about a fourth of the yard in one day. Then the sun sets. I try to water my zinnias first so they won't get moldy. Is watering in the evening bad for the lawn or is it better than letting it completely dry out and turn brown?

As for Wal-Mart, they need to do something about their plants. I try to buy ones that have just come off the truck.
Give a Weed an Inch and it’ll Take a Yard
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

Yet another old wives tale. I have yet to see a plant with fried leaves from being watered on a sunny day, regardless of the time of day it was watered.

Water when the plants need it regardless of the time of day. They'll thank you for it, and if it is the only time in your busy work day that you have a chance to do it, will you wait? Nope.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

I agree with KellieD, only I won't water at night after 6 due to the molds and fungus. Just smile and tell them you are keeping them alive so they don't fry.
New Topic Post Reply