Amazing Annuals

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Amazing Annuals

Post by doublemom2 »

I don't grow many annuals, and to be an annual in my yard it has to be unique, different, and not the everyday variety of something.

These plants definitely work for me!

Andi
Attachments
Salvia Coral Nymph 062305.jpg
Nicotiana landsdorfii 062305.jpg
Cerinthe major 062305.jpg
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Those are beautiful, Andi! :cool: :cool: :cool: I especially like the Salvia Coral Nymph. :D
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
hummingbird
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by hummingbird »

I want that last one! :cry: It's goyjus
"Friends are as elusive as rainbows"
Snow

Post by Snow »

I saw Cerinthe major last week at a nursery! Very interesting plant - had never seen it before. It's an annual???
~*Snow*~
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

Snow - For us it's an annual, though I did have one make it through the winter this year. The seeds are large and easy to collect, I usually let them seed wherever they want (not at all invasive) and collect a few seeds for safekeeping from year to year also. It's a fantastic plant, very definitely unique!

Andi
Andi
PeggyB

Post by PeggyB »

They're beautiful Andi! I've never seen anything like these around here. I'll have to start a list and look for them through mail-order sources.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Wow! Those are stunning! Love that first one, are the leaves really purplish also?

And that last one is delightful! How big do these get as annuals?
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

So far my Salvia Coral Nymph is only about a foot tall. Wish it would get larger, but either way it's still pretty.

The cerinthe major does have purplish leaves towards the tips of each stem. Some of my cerinthe are a foot tall, others are at least three feet. I think it depends on how much sun they get. They do okay in the shade, but seem to prefer more sun. The ones that germinate in the ground seem to do better than the ones started indoors and then planted out.

The nicotiana attracts hummers like crazy. I have a large one in a pot by my front door along with the cerinthe, and something about the combination of those two brings in hummers. I can stand outside my front door and just watch them buzz around, pretty neat :)

Andi
Andi
New Topic Post Reply